I've replaced the rotary encoder on my Mk2 with a Mk2a encoder (thanks Mark, Rob S., and everyone else who helped me with that project).

So now the encoder no longer sends "dirty" signals to the player when I'm carefully twisting the knob only one notch. No longer do I have the problem where it jumps up to 0db on a single click.

But sometimes it still blasts me when that's not what I intended it to do.

- If I'm doing a gentle twist of several clicks, say, I'm at -25 and I'm heading for -15...

- The player UI responses sometimes freeze a bit as if it's loading up the cache.

- If this happens during my knob twist, the timing of the twist gets misinterpreted by the player as being faster than it really was. As a result, the acceleration kicks in and the volume shoots up to -5db and blasts me.

Is there any way to put speed brakes on the volume, so that if flukes like that happen (or flukes caused by dirty signals from a rotary encoder) you don't blast out the volume? The speed brakes would only need to be in place in the "up" direction, I think.

I know this is supposed to be handled by the debouncing code. But in my case, the clicks were perfectly valid, they didn't need debouncing. It's just that the player misinterpreted the timing of the arrival of the clicks as if they all came in at once rather than in the actual timing that I entered them.

Am I making any sense?