Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17577 - 13/09/2000 06:24 Emplode Connectivity
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
I have had my Empeg for a few days now and I have noticed a few "Connectivity" bugs/quirks.

When I start emplode it never finds my Empeg, I have to click options then click ok for it to find my Empeg on USB. I turned off the ethernet as it seemed to take longer with it on.

Also I cant seem to get Emplode to sync via ethernet.

I'm on a switched network so that may be causing my problems.
The Empeg is getting an IP address as I can ping it once it is up.

How does Emplode communicate with the empeg?

thanks

John

18Gb Green MKII #080000525

#17578 - 13/09/2000 09:45 Re: Emplode Connectivity [Re: jwtadmin]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
When emplode is loaded, it tries to find the empeg-car in the locations that you've checked in the Options dialog.

This is done in the foreground, and it's given about 5 seconds to each discovery method (serial, USB, ethernet) to find empegs. This is why turning off the ethernet seems to make it faster -- it does make it faster.

However, sometimes the USB discovery doesn't work first time, so you occasionally have to hit the Refresh button (or take a round-trip through the options dialog). This usually fixes it.

As for the ethernet problems, is it finding the unit in the discovery dialog? If it is, then it's something else, and we'll need to look deeper.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#17579 - 13/09/2000 13:07 Re: Emplode Connectivity [Re: Roger]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
It is not finding the unit in discovery.

I am running Win2K SP1

The empeg is in a different subnet. Which is I'm sure the problem....

#17580 - 13/09/2000 23:39 Re: Emplode Connectivity [Re: jwtadmin]
dWarf
new poster

Loc: Oakville, ON, CA
That is the problem. The discovery is done with via broadcast packets. This discovery will make it through the switch but will be dropped by the router.

MKII 080000075 - 18G, green

#17581 - 14/09/2000 03:17 Re: Emplode Connectivity [Re: dWarf]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
This is correct.

They're also subnet-directed broadcast packets (i.e. they're addressed to x.y.z.255, rather than 255.255.255.255). It's not just a case of your router dropping broadcast packets indiscriminately. The subnet-directed packets aren't going to make any sense on the other subnet anyway.

There's a fix in v1.01 that allows you to specify a unicast address for your empeg. This will be routed correctly.

I'm not sure about the ETA for v1.01, but we're hoping to get it out soon.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#17582 - 22/09/2000 07:00 Re: Emplode Connectivity [Re: Roger]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
I just recently got around to buying a network hub to do away with some of the thin coax lying around the place (and more importantly to let me use the ethernet connection on the Mk2!)

I am having some trouble getting Emplode to talk to the empeg over ethernet. Emplode detects the ethernet connection in the discovery phase, but if I select that as the connection, the progress bar appears to indicate downloading from the empeg, but it freezes about 10% of the way across and Emplode hangs.

All the machines in the network are on the same subnet, and I can ping the empeg successfully.

Is there something I am missing?

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB