Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#175786 - 18/08/2003 23:24 Dynamic Wendy Filters
paulj
stranger

Loc: Austin, TX
How about a way to make it possible to toggle a Wendyflag from inside the car? For the 'oops I forgot to flag this' moments as well as when Wendy says 'you thought I liked this? It sucks!' and also when listening to new music 'oops, I didn't realize this had profanity in it. Definitely not kid/grandma safe'.

Actaully in general I'd like to be able to do more actual data manipulation while in the car. Delete songs/tracks. Build and ave playlists into the main Playlists menu (yes, I can use bookmarks, but there's no way to then transfer them to permanence in the playlists menu... maybe a press-and-hold-down option on a bookmark that lets you copy its playlist to the main playlist top level?) Define custom soups. Rename tracks/albums/tags etc. ('hey I typo'd! man I have to remember to go track that down...') For text input I suggest the knob rollis thru the letters and right-button moves right when its selected. left button moves back. Like in arcade games... no it's not fast, but hey, it's meant for when you don't have a computer handy.

Anyway, just my random desires. Worth less than they cost you, I'm sure.

--pj

#175787 - 19/08/2003 07:03 Re: Dynamic Wendy Filters [Re: paulj]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
reason for not having dynamic control during playback is that the HDD is mounted read only. imagine if you were doing a change, you would first need to turn off the current song because you need no files to be in use when you remount. secondly, if you accidentally reset the unit while its writable.... 60 minute fsck awaits you.

now if all those functions were stored on the scratch partition, then it would make sense. sometimes you might lose information because it didnt write before you turned the unit off, but a lot safer.

#175788 - 19/08/2003 21:23 Re: Dynamic Wendy Filters [Re: image]
paulj
stranger

Loc: Austin, TX
Okay, so that leads to two possibillities:

1) Store the changes as transactions on the scratch partition. Have empeg-boot consult them before consulting the main db (so they're viable
immediately). Have them get 'committed' to the database next time you do a sync.

2) Why are we still using ext2 instead of ext3? fsck time along makes it very very attractive? Or is there another thread on doing that that I missed?

--pj

#175789 - 20/08/2003 02:14 Re: Dynamic Wendy Filters [Re: paulj]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Why are we still using ext2 instead of ext3?

Because ext3 support on a 2.2 kernel is flaky without work (which others have done), and we've not got around to porting the drivers to 2.4. There are other problems with 2.4 that preclude us using it without a bunch of work.

In short, it's a bunch of work that we don't have time for.