Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#183001 - 05/10/2003 16:44 More info required on CA
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

OK, it looks like there are some places to go to buy test gear. Now, I need help finding the following:

A) A good SF bookshop or bookshops in the SF/LA/vegas areas, and

B) One or more good model shops in the same areas that stock stuff for electric aircraft, and

C) Paintball equipment suppliers in the same areas.

Any ideas, natives of the west coast?

pca

#183002 - 05/10/2003 20:31 Re: More info required on CA [Re: pca]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
A) A good SF bookshop or bookshops in the SF/LA/vegas areas, and
I haven't been to a bookstore in ages, as I have such a huge pile of books to go through already, but...
Since you're going to be in Berkely anyway, you may want to stop in at The Other Change of Hobbit.
Santa Monica has something that's probably overkill for you -- Barry R. Levin
Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature
. Not an SF bookstore, but still possibly of interest to you is OpAmp, which has the biggest collection of technical books you could wander through. Of course, if you're just looking for your generic Star Trek/Wars-like SF pulp, you can get that stuff pretty easily at any Barnes & Noble (who can sometimes have other pretty reasonable titles, as well).

#183003 - 06/10/2003 11:16 SF bookstores [Re: canuckInOR]
Mataglap
enthusiast

If you're looking for independant SF specialty stores then here's a good list, which includes the ones Canuck mentioned. Dark Carnival (Sherman Oaks) and Dark Delicacies (Burbank) are in the LA area, and if you're going to Universal City you're actually going to be very close to both of them -- in the LA sense of "close". It looks like Dangerous Visions went mail-order only, but that was a good shop too.

http://www.locusmag.com/Links/Bookstores.html

For current stuff, amazon.com/co.uk is really the best choice most of the time. Many of the brick Border's stores have a good SF section including a surprising amount of small press.

If you're looking for odd or older stuff -- e.g., the yellow-spine DAWs -- really the best thing to do is just check out all the run-of-the-mill second-hand bookstores you run across. The economics of American bookstores mean that it's very hard for a specialty shop to survive and there's very little value in carrying much of a backlist, and no point in having a used book section.

If there's anything in particular you're looking for, sometimes there are specific places to go. The Ballantine Adult Fantasy stuff is rare, but there's this one guy doing the con circuit that has a great selection in mint condition, but then he's looking for like $40 each.

--Nathan

#183004 - 06/10/2003 12:07 Re: SF bookstores [Re: Mataglap]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
http://www.citylights.com/

THE indipendent book shop of SF. Not sure what kind of books your looking for though...

#183005 - 14/10/2003 01:17 Re: More info required on CA [Re: pca]
spine
new poster

On your way to Las Vegas you can stop off at Pegasus. Great Hobby Shop Its off Interstate 10 http://www.pegasushobbies.com/gm_main.htm. A decent selection of models and aircraft.

#183006 - 14/10/2003 01:21 Re: More info required on CA [Re: spine]
spine
new poster

What days will you be in Los Angeles? If I can sneak away from work I would love to say hi.

#183007 - 15/10/2003 10:16 Re: More info required on CA [Re: spine]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
We will be arriving somewhere in the vicinity of Six Flags for Friday, and will be rollercoasted out and free in LA on Saturday. I stil have tuner kits left if there is anyone in the area who wants one.

pca

#183008 - 15/10/2003 10:43 Re: More info required on CA [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Glad to hear you guys are going to Magic Mountain. One of my favorite places on the planet, you'll have great fun.

#183009 - 15/10/2003 18:49 Re: More info required on CA [Re: pca]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
woah cool. my old home town valencia. i'd love to meet up with you guys saturday. let me know if you wanted to see the night life in l.a. walking the sunset strip would do you guys good =). miyagis, dublins, and saddleranch is a must for out for out of towners.

p.s. no matter what, DO NOT PASS UP the ride "X". i'm telling you, even a 2hr wait is worth it. no other rollercoaser i've ridden even compares. let that be your first and last ride. other mentionables are goliath and "bugs bunny's wild ride" =).

#183010 - 15/10/2003 21:22 Re: More info required on CA [Re: image]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
p.s. no matter what, DO NOT PASS UP the ride "X".

Huh. Different strokes, I guess. I thought the X was nowhere near as fun of a ride as some of the other coasters in the park. Definately wasn't worth waiting in line for a couple hours, IMHO. The initial climb was mildly interesting, because you faced backwards, and then... the drop? Mildly exciting, but only because I was facing the ground directly. The rest of the ride was far too short, and uneventful. If I hadn't been sitting in the very front car, it would have been even less exciting than it was.

*edit: added reasons why I didn't like the X.