Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#183053 - 06/10/2003 09:18 Question about hijack web server
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
is there anyway that people outside my network can see this?

what i would like to do is, when im talking to people online about the music i like, be able to say "go here and see what i have"

#183054 - 06/10/2003 09:30 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: m6400]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
It's just a web server so if you are using NAT (like behind a broadband router) you would have to forward port 80 to your Empeg and give them your broadband IP, otherwise go to the About screen on your Empeg and give them the IP address shown. If it's a 192.* address, that tells you that you are behind a router and will need to do the port forwarding.

The safest way, however, is to dump your playlist contents into a CSV or XML file and send it to them that way. Jemplode and Emplode both let you export to CSV or XML. This ensures that nobody is accessing your Empeg remotely.

#183055 - 06/10/2003 10:25 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Not to mention that you would also need to secure your empeg with passwords (both emplode and hijack daemon passwords) so that people on the internet can't get to its filesystem and delete stuff.

Once upon a time ISTR the player would seem to slow down or lock up when it got hammered with HTTP requests, e.g., from internet worms. I think that's been fixed by now, but you can never be too safe...

I agree that the CSV is the simplest way to show people what you have.

#183056 - 06/10/2003 10:27 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh yeah: And there's the whole issue of the RIAA coming to sue people who share music files on the internet. Didn't you hear about that? Even a 12-year-old girl. What makes you think they won't come after you?

#183057 - 06/10/2003 10:41 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: cushman]
m6400

ok, saving it as a file and sending it sounds good. i wasnt really interested in letting them download my entire colection, it might be nice if they could stream a few songs though. But yea, seeing as i dont have access to the router i'm behind i guess that is what i will have to do.

I just get frusterated when im talking to people online about my music because most people havent heard of most of it. it would be nice if there was a way to let them listen to my collection while we talked (like we could do if it was in person)

does anyone perhaps know of a program that lets two people chat and one person listen to whatever the other person is playing on their computer at that time? you can do this as a rough hack in some IM programs, but the SQ isnt great, and like i say, its a hack, its not what it was ment to do.

#183058 - 06/10/2003 10:45 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: tfabris]
m6400

like i say, im not trying to give away music here. i reallly encourage people to buy music (b/c alot of the bands i listen to really need the help) but people wont do that if they havent heard any of it. so this way i could let them play a few songs and then they would go buy the cd b/c they had heard it and liked it.

#183059 - 06/10/2003 13:45 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: m6400]
Anonymous
Unregistered

it would be nice if there was a way to let them listen to my collection while we talked (like we could do if it was in person)

that makes me wonder....how long will it be before the RIAA starts suing people for sharing their music in person? Soon they will be suing you for playing copyrighted songs in your car if you have passengers that aren't paying the proper royalties to the RIAA..

#183060 - 06/10/2003 14:33 Re: Question about hijack web server [Re: ]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Naw, they won't do that until after they soon begin raiding parties which are playing music without paying the per-performance fees.

-ml