Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18308 - 21/09/2000 14:25 4 channel out when on AC?
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I recently wondered wether it is possible to use the drive sled with AC power(through the AC power input instead of the usual docking connector power in, so that the empeg can detect it is not in the car), and get the 4 channel output (and 4 channel, 5 band each EQ) though. I have a decent surround sound amp at home, and would like to use its 6 channel input (but only connecting 4 of them, it is able to provide a pseudo center and pseudo sub from the front stereo in) to connect the empeg. Is there any hope for me to get that working?

cu,
sven

#18309 - 21/09/2000 14:36 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: smu]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not unless you power the empeg through the sled. If there is a connector in the jack on the back of the unit, it assumes it's at home and removes all the 4 channel options.

Hugo

#18310 - 21/09/2000 14:39 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only way to do this is to fool the unit into thinking it's in the car by building a "box" with a car docking sled. Brian Mihulka has already done this. Unfortunately, the Emepg guys don't have any extra Mk2 docking sleeves on hand yet. They are only shipping them with players right now.

Remember that the docking sled outputs are 4V instead of 1V and most home stereos expect 1V. This probably won't be a problem other than the Empeg will be a bit louder.

Also, remember that you'll lose any advantages to the home/car detection, such as different volume levels or different EQ presets. In order for it to give you 4-channel output in the house, it has to think it's in the car.

#18311 - 21/09/2000 16:19 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Extra car mounts are coming through now, although it'll be a week or two before we clear the backlog.

Rob

#18312 - 22/09/2000 12:17 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: altman]
smu
old hand

Not unless you power the empeg through the sled. If there is a connector in the jack on the back of the unit, it assumes it's at home and removes all the 4 channel options.

Is this a hardware or a software issue? If it is software, could this be made overrideable either via emplode, .ini file or empegs menu? Would really be great.
I know I would still have to deal with two problems:
  1. connecting the empeg in the additional sled needed i.e. connecting the power like normally done outside the car, and

2. connecting the sledīs cables to my stereo, with conversion from 4V to 1V outs.
Anything else?

cu,
sven

#18313 - 23/09/2000 05:39 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: smu]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
What's the point? The empeg only has two channels - the rear and front outputs are identical at source (only the gain and EQ vary). You might as well split the home outputs and then you won't have to bother with level converters.

Rob

#18314 - 23/09/2000 08:09 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: rob]
smu
old hand

The point is that I would like to use different EQ settings on the front/rear channels. As I see it, this is possible in the car (resp. powering the empeg through the sled), but it is not possible when splitting the channels (thatīs where there is no point, I could easily use the stereo input of my home amp).

cu,
sven

#18315 - 25/09/2000 01:54 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: rob]
smu
old hand

Hi.

Well, as said before, the EQ is the reason why I would like to use empegīs 4 channel output at home (why buy an additional EQ when the empeg has a good one?). Well, I still have a question:
The 4 channel out is 4V, the 2 channel out is 1V. What do I need to do to convert the 4V out into a 1V? Use a high-ohm voltage divisor, like 6kOhm+2kOhm (with as little tolerance as available, or a high quality poti)?
And, even more interesting: Is the 1V output always available (even in car)? If so: is it identical (except for output level) to the front or the back outputs (which one)? If it is not identical to either output: Is it even passed through the EQ?

cu,
sven

#18316 - 25/09/2000 12:28 Re: 4 channel out when on AC? [Re: smu]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The 4v outs are usually fine with home stereo equipment; I've used them without a problem (some home CD players are quite loud, the 4v empeg outputs aren't much above this level).

The 1v home outputs are the front L+R pair on the car outputs, before they're fed through the 4v amp.

Hugo