Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#185454 - 19/10/2003 16:48 Auto EQ balancing through Line-In
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I remember this being talked about at some great length (having the empeg auto-calibrate itself to a flat frequency response via the Line-In and some device with a mic-in and line-out such as a RadioShack SPL meter). Are we at the point now where we understand the empeg enough to start talking about this again?

Yes, I know that a flat EQ response is not always the best sounding thing, but it at least gives us a good baseline.

If this isn't possible, how about a something that worked with a SPL meter... See, when I listen to a frequency sweep on my empeg, I can watch my SPL meter and go "Yep, there's a dip here and a spike there," but I have no idea what the frequencies are.. Maybe a visual or something that would tell you what frequency you are at...? Just thinking out loud here...

#185455 - 19/10/2003 16:55 Re: Auto EQ balancing through Line-In [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

Isn't the line in sampled by the Crystal chip like the mic line? It's only sampled to do the visualations. The line in is connected to the Phillips chip which then pumps it out.

I can't remember how good the sampling is on the Crystal chip but there was some technical limitation on the mic line that prevented us from doing this before.

Then again, I could be totally wrong as this is all from memory

#185456 - 19/10/2003 16:59 Re: Auto EQ balancing through Line-In [Re: tman]
tman
carpal tunnel

Ah hah... The CS4231A chip is limited to a sampling rate of 22.05KHz so you could do it, but it wouldn't have amazing results.