Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#186344 - 23/10/2003 04:53 Retaining and deleting copied playlists
ngchol
stranger

I've finally decided to ditch playlisting by all individual artists, as it's getting too much of a hassle to maintain every time I upload, with 8,000 tracks already there. However, when I started doing this delete in emplode, the playlists that I have copied from this Artists A-Z hierarchy into other playlist hierarchies (Favourite Artists, Electronic->Artists, Rock->Artists etc) all get marked for deletion too. Is there any way around this?

#186345 - 23/10/2003 05:00 Re: Retaining and deleting copied playlists [Re: ngchol]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Were you using jEmplode to do your artist playlists or were you doing these by hand? You should be able to delete a playlist and not "remove completely" and it will only delete the specific instance of the playlist and not all its symbolic links ...

ms

#186346 - 23/10/2003 05:43 Re: Retaining and deleting copied playlists [Re: mschrag]
ngchol
stranger

I only started using jEmplode a few months ago - all these playlists were created by hand in Emplode. Can I delete instances of playlists in jEmplode without the copies disappearing?

#186347 - 23/10/2003 12:20 Re: Retaining and deleting copied playlists [Re: ngchol]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Can I delete instances of playlists in jEmplode without the copies disappearing?

Not that I know of. Each copy of a playlist is actually the same exact file. What you're copying is not the playlist, you're copying the reference to the playlist. So anything you do to one playlist is automatically done to the other copy. FAQ entry is here.

See, with heirarchical playlists, you can't have it both ways...

Let's say you've made a Artists/PRS/Rush playlist, with each album as a separate playlist under that. Now you make a "My Favorite Artists" playlist, and copy Rush into it. Now you get a new Rush album and put it into the "Rush" playlist. Yay! You don't have to put the album into the Rush playlist twice, it's automatic because they're both links to the same playlist.

But now you want to delete one without deleting the other. But you can't have that without breaking the above functionality.

Here is one possible work-around. Taking the above example...

Let's say you want to delete the Rush playlist from Artists/PRS but you want to leave it in "My Favorite Artists". Do this: Create another playlist, perhaps named "Rush2". Then copy all the sub-playlists into it. Then you can delete the old Rush playlist and it will disappear, but the sub-playlists will still exist under the new one. Or at least they should, I think. Worth a try anyway.

If you want one copy of a playlist to be edited differently than its source playlist, then you have to create a new playlist instead of copying it. See the difference?

#186348 - 23/10/2003 15:48 Re: Retaining and deleting copied playlists [Re: tfabris]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Maybe I misunderstood his original question, but I think we're saying the same thing ... I think he was saying if he has playlist "A" in two places, can he delete the playlist in one place without deleting in the other. I'm saying yes, because he would just be deleting one reference without deleting the second reference. If he's talking about deleting entries FROM a playlist, yeah, you're SOL there.

ms

#186349 - 23/10/2003 17:10 Re: Retaining and deleting copied playlists [Re: mschrag]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
know what? if he goes to jemplode and deep copies the other heirarchies, would that take care of the problem?

#186350 - 23/10/2003 17:13 Re: Retaining and deleting copied playlists [Re: image]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Yeah I believe that will do it too ...