Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18674 - 26/09/2000 11:05 Mac Work?
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
OK, this newsletter said that people were working on a Mac version using the emptool code, and I don't see any mention of it on the Geek site, the developers' site, or here.

If you're out there working on a mac version, please step forward. I'd like to beta-test.

D

#18675 - 26/09/2000 23:43 Re: Mac Work? [Re: Dredd]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Hmm, unless Rob knows something we don't I think me and you are the only ones who seriously mentioned it. I keep getting tempted to try it, but then get busy or whatever and never really get around to it. FWIW here is what I am thinking/working on.

I am not interested in OS 9. I am trying to get something to work on OS X Beta. OSXB does not include compiler tools, but gcc from Darwin works fairly well. OSXB has a BSD layer, but BSDs apparently don't include a sys/poll.h which emptool makes use of. There is a poll.h emulator available at http://www.willscreek.com/software/poll/ which appears to work OK with OSX. Another option would be to use select instead of poll.

Emptool uses gethostbyname_r() in a couple of spots in connection_unix.cpp. This needs to be revised to use the standard gethostbyname(). There is also some funkiness with TimeCalc in connection_unix.cpp that OSXB does not like.

Emptool has some endian issues which would keep it from working properly on OSX even if I could get it to compile. Hugo mentioned in another thread that the guys@empeg would probably be fixing these (any word on this Hugo?).

Once emptool compiles it should not be that big of a deal to wrap a GUI around it. Unfortunately, I don't have much time at the moment. If anyone else is working on this I would be interested to hear how it is going.

-Mike