Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18685 - 26/09/2000 13:43 Wont sleep correctly w/ perm 12v power?
nharland
new poster

After redoing the wiring in my passat, my mkII doesn't go to sleep correctly with the 12v perm power (yellow) wire attached to my cars 12v perm power line. Turning off the ignition, or selecting power off from the menu causes the audio to stop, but the visuals keep on going as if the player was still on but not playing anything. After 180 seconds the player powers itself off completly as it should.

Without the 12v perm power line connected the unit powers off and sleeps correctly, it also works fine w/ the AC adapter.

This seems to me like it could be a software problem, but I haven't heard any other reports of this happening. Anybody have any ideas?

#18686 - 26/09/2000 14:00 Re: Wont sleep correctly w/ perm 12v power? [Re: nharland]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
in my passat, my mkII doesn't go to sleep correctly

This is a known problem with VW/Audi cars, Nick. Their cars appear to have some wires consistently reversed in the DIN connector. See Tony's FAQ here

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#18687 - 26/09/2000 14:38 Re: Wont sleep correctly w/ perm 12v power? [Re: Henno]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It sounded like his symptoms were different than the ones I described in that FAQ entry. I was waiting to see if anyone responded with a different solution so I could update the FAQ.

The part that made me think it was different was where he said that it still went into sleep mode after 120 seconds.

Anyone have any more information?

#18688 - 26/09/2000 14:45 Re: Wont sleep correctly w/ perm 12v power? [Re: nharland]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This *sounds* like miswiring of the amp remote (blue) wire. On some harnesses (eg, my beetles) the manufacturer has put permanent 12v on both the yellow wire and the blue wire position; in this case, you need to disconnect the blue wire from the car's harness, but leave it connected to the amp remote.

This should solve the problem.

Hugo

#18689 - 26/09/2000 20:59 Re: Wont sleep correctly w/ perm 12v power? [Re: altman]
nharland
new poster

Wow. I think you nailed my problem right on the head. My amp remote and perm power leads are miswired, though not at the cars harness.

The "rewiring" I did to my setup was done after the installer I took my unit to pulled too hard on the wiring attached to the docking sleave and ripped some wires out of the connectors. He then replaced the connectors and put it all back together but it looks like he reversed the wires in pins 1 and 2. In frustration with his crafstmenship I decided to solder up the connector to prevent this from happening again - in doing that I somehow failed to verify he put everything back in the correct place.

Looks like I'm going to have to take out the soldering iron one more time. Thanks!

The geek in me is now curious as to why the perm power lead on the empeg seems to correctly turn my amp on and off?

--
Nick Harland

#18690 - 27/09/2000 02:02 Re: Wont sleep correctly w/ perm 12v power? [Re: nharland]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I really don't know. Electrically, that's a very frightening thought :)

Hugo