Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#187294 - 30/10/2003 05:10 Exhibition cabinets
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Does anybody know whether you can get DIY parts to make exhibition cabinets?
It would seem simple to order 5 pieces of toughened glass and have some DIY channelling to cut to size and hold the whole lot together, but I can't find anything on the net, or enquiring at glass shops/DIY Stores.
From time to time I think it would be a good idea to protect the prized real steam, radio controlled paddle steamer that I spent a whole winter building, before it deteriorates anymore: The cost of properly made exhibition cabinets that I'm being quoted is more than the cost of the kit and all the parts.

#187295 - 30/10/2003 05:29 Re: Exhibition cabinets [Re: boxer]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Actually, your best bet is to watch for when a store or a chain starts closing stores. You can buy there cabinets for a few dollars, and then fix them up. My brother picked up an old Nintendo cabinet, refinished it to get rid of the red and yellow color scheme and now uses it to display model trains.

As for doing it yourself. Yes, you can go to a glass cutter's and have the doors and shelves ordered. Don't ask for the display cabinet parts - ask for the dimensions and explain your intent. Usually, they can give you a good result. The rest of the frame can be assembled from standard lumber and finished as you like.

#187296 - 30/10/2003 07:41 Re: Exhibition cabinets [Re: pgrzelak]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
your best bet is to watch for when a store or a chain starts closing stores

Tell me about it! I just missed out on one just the right size, in an insolvency auction, but thanks for the advice.