Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#191293 - 01/12/2003 21:03 Lesser of two evils
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I just got the new mazda 3 hatchback to replace my golf and of course I want to install the empeg in it in some fashion.

This car has an evil non-standard built into the dash head unit. I ripped the dash apart and there doesn't look to be an easy way to add a line in also this a totally new design so there are no adaptors yet.

I am trying to decide if I should use a RF modulator or if I should use a speaker to line level adaptor to hook the factory HU to the empeg and get an amp.

The modulator sounds the simplest and I could still use the stearing wheel controls to run the volume so I am leaning towards that but I am guessing it would sound pretty crappy.

Any input would be great.

Matt

#191294 - 02/12/2003 05:14 Re: Lesser of two evils [Re: msaeger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I personally like the idea of the speaker to line level adapter to bring your factory unit into the aux in of the empeg. Assuming you use the empeg more than the factory unit, you would probably get the best sound most of the time. Of course, this would require an amp...

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with FM modulators in this type of install.

#191295 - 02/12/2003 08:37 Re: Lesser of two evils [Re: msaeger]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
In my Subaru Outback install I use an Audiovox FM modulator set up with a relay pictured here. The relay is set up so it switches on the power to the modulator when the Empeg amp sense line powers up (whenever the Empeg is on, the modulator is on). This setup works well for me, I can't tell the difference between a very good quality FM radio station and the Empeg's sound. If I crank the sound on my HU and pause the Empeg, I do get a bit of alternator whine, but it is probably a ground problem somewhere and Subarus are notorious for it. You could try the FM Modulator anyway, it's cheap, and if you don't like the sound out of it, install it in your wife/friend/SO's car .

#191296 - 02/12/2003 18:00 Re: Lesser of two evils [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

After looking at it some more I am thinking it may be best to try and make a custom mount, remove the factory unit, and install the empeg with another standard head unit into the dash. Does anyone have some good links for this type of thing. I have found many for sub enclosures but not for head units.

Matt

#191297 - 22/02/2005 03:02 Re: Lesser of two evils [Re: msaeger]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Bringing up an old thread, what did you end up doing? My friend just bought a 2005 3, and I'm trying to get him to buy an empeg. I've seen some stereo install kits available, but I wanted to see what you did.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#191298 - 23/02/2005 06:15 Re: Lesser of two evils [Re: Waterman981]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Well I got rear ended and the car was totalled five months after I got it The empeg is now installed in my 04 mini.

As far as the mazda goes I did have the empeg in there with another head unit. I just connected the two head units together and stuck them in the hole where the factory unit was. It was pretty ugly with no face plate though.

I went to one install place and they wanted about 500 to make a face plate adaptor.

Matt