Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19666 - 06/10/2000 11:46 4-channel sound?
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
Is there any fundamental hardware limitation preventing the Empeg from sending out four independent channels of sound? Obviously the software doesn't yet support this, but I'm wondering if it's ever possible with current hardware.

I have recently discovered DVDs and I'm considering ripping some of them. Of course, stereo will sound fine, but I'll bet a good 4-channel mix for some of the live concerts would sound even better.

(Yes I know I'm late to the DVD game but I figured it wasn't worth it until I got a decent TV. Well, I decided not to wait for that any longer, and I'm glad I made that choice... Watching The Matrix on my computer monitor with decent stereo speakers was enough to make me imagine what's possible... :-)

Michael Grant
12GB Green

#19667 - 06/10/2000 12:49 Re: 4-channel sound? [Re: mcgrant]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there any fundamental hardware limitation preventing the Empeg from sending out four independent channels of sound? Obviously the software doesn't yet support this, but I'm wondering if it's ever possible with current hardware.

It is not possible with the current hardware. The DSP chip that does the actual output can only do two channels with a fader. It does not decode 4-channel surround or anything. Even if the Empeg software did the decoding, it only has two channels worth of input.

I guess theoretically you could fit an external Dolby decoder (regular Dolby, not AC-3), but the problem is that the data compression of the MP3 files probably would mangle any Dolby encoding embedded in the stereo signal.

#19668 - 06/10/2000 13:00 Re: 4-channel sound? [Re: tfabris]
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
It is not possible with the current hardware

OK, asked, answered, thanks.

I guess theoretically you could fit an external Dolby decoder (regular Dolby, not AC-3), but the problem is that the data compression of the MP3 files probably would mangle any Dolby encoding embedded in the stereo signal.

Hmm, yeah, I wonder about that! You're probably right.

Oh well, I guess maybe this could go on a wish list for the Mark, oh, IV or V... :-)

Michael

Michael Grant
12GB Green

#19669 - 12/10/2000 05:27 Re: 4-channel sound? [Re: mcgrant]
Bill Walker
journeyman

Loc: NZ
Hmm, this is interesting...my DSP Amp autodetects the EMPEG as a Surround Sound device on some songs... so it must keep some of the encoding..... If I get time I'll try sampling the begging of Apocolypse now and see if I get the helicopter flying round the room using my empeg.

-------------
MK II, (Blue but should be Amber) SN: 118