Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#196676 - 12/07/2004 21:39 Re: Hijack v394: support for up to 64MB DRAM on Mk [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
I won't say anymore but suffice it say I'm glad I didn't modify the spare!

Patrick's new approach to memory upgrades has already been discussed here:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/225341/an/0/page/0#225341

#196677 - 12/07/2004 21:52 Re: Hijack v394: support for up to 64MB DRAM on Mk [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
peakmop
journeyman

Loc: 384400 km from the Moon
Quote:

So you just put some dielectric grease on the pins of the IDE head and drives before you put the cable on?

Yes, exactly the same way you put some of that grease on the automotive bulb and screw it in.

Quote:

Where are you getting power for the fan and how is it mounted to the top of the drives?

Check out this site I basically followed the instructions
I didn't however attach the fan to the top cover but rather to the hard drives using double sticky tape. I attached only rear of the fan with the front raised on the foam stands so there is a way for air to pass through. I also taped the top of the fan with the same tape but left the top side covered so it won't stick to the empeg cover.
The nice thing is that the fan turns off whenever empeg is in a standby mode. I have the ability to regulate the fan speed so once empeg plays I never hear the fan.

#196678 - 23/09/2004 17:56 Re: Success [Re: Shonky]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Well, I've just spent the last 6 hours upgrading my MK2a from 16MB to 32MB. This must be the least productive hardware upgrade i've ever undertaken!

Now, I've been soldering things since the age of about 10 (I am currently 28), including some rather bizare mods involving surface mount components on NetStations (don't worry, probably only means something to Hugo, and even then not much), so I wouldn't consider myself a amateaur.

All I can say is that is is way more difficult than, say, replacing the surface mounted StrongArm chip.

The things that, IMO, make this hack difficult are:

a) that the legs on the memory chip are very fragile and very small and very hard to straighten. Even then, they are only just long enough and you have to get them all at exactly the right angle, which is just shy of 90 degrees

b) you definately need a high-strength freestanding magnifying glass. My eyesight is very good yet there is no way I would have been able to complete the work without a glass (I did try, before giving in).

c) The solder prefers to bridge adjacent pins than join the two chips if there is even the tinest gap between the bottom of the pins on the top chip and the top of the pins on the bottom chip. I would very strongly recommend the use of a no-clean flux pen. Maplin (code HH62) and RS sell them.

It would certianly be useful to have all the info in one place (took me an age to find everything I needed on the bbs) - I might look to start doing just that over the weekend if I get a chance, then ask Tony to update the FAQ.

I won't be doing another one of these in a hurry, and definately won't be trying for 48MB or 64MB using this method. Howerver, no broken pins and I do get:
c1f00000: passed

Thanks to mlord, pgrzelak, Hugo, Stu and everyone else who helped to make this possible.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#196679 - 23/09/2004 18:00 Re: Success [Re: mdavey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I might look to start doing just that over the weekend if I get a chance, then ask Tony to update the FAQ.

That's a good idea. Someone should maintain a comprehensive memory upgrade page with instructions and photos and such. You want to do that?

#196680 - 23/09/2004 18:03 Re: Success [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'll bring a camera to the meet this weekend and try to get some photos of genixia upgrading some empegs. If I can figure out how to use my buddy's Digital Rebel....

#196681 - 23/09/2004 18:17 Re: Success [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Yeah, i have the RAM chips sitting there but i haven't had the time to dredge up all the pertinent info, so i haven't done it yet. A guide would be super appreciated.

#196682 - 23/09/2004 18:51 Re: Success [Re: tfabris]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:

That's a good idea. Someone should maintain a comprehensive memory upgrade page with instructions and photos and such. You want to do that?

Who looks after empegbbs.com and riocar.org? Could we get a wiki setup on one of these sites? It would make looking after information such as this a lot easier in the long run.

I'd be happy to colleate the information, but my contributions are somewhat erratic, so it would be good if the community as a whole were able to maintain it in my absence.

#196683 - 26/09/2004 16:43 memory - random requests for information [Re: tfabris]
mdavey
enthusiast

Hiya,

So, I've started on the instruction manual for memory upgrades and have some random questions.

Can anyone point me at a datasheet for the MK1/MK2 memory chips (the ones that Hugo claims to have thousands of!). They are 1Mx16 TSOP-42.

Does anyone have a nice hi-res, in-focus image of either the chips for the MK1/MK2 or the MK2a before installation (ideally on a pale background)?

Does anyone have any installation images and boot-up logs for a MK1?

Many thanks,

#196684 - 26/09/2004 18:11 Re: memory - random requests for information [Re: mdavey]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have the datasheet. If you would like, we can take pics of the memory chips and an MK2A before installation. The camera is a 12 MP S2 SLR with a dedicated macro lens. E-mail me if interested.

Stu

#196685 - 26/09/2004 23:26 Re: memory - random requests for information [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Well, that's really a 6mp by anyone's count other than Fuji's. Still more than good enough for a <1mp web pic.

Cheers!

#196686 - 27/09/2004 22:34 Re: memory - random requests for information [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Actually resolution tests put in at about 9 MPs.

Stu

#196687 - 21/10/2004 17:57 Re: memory - random requests for information [Re: mdavey]
loren
carpal tunnel

How goes the manual?! =]

#196688 - 21/10/2004 19:16 Re: memory - random requests for information [Re: loren]
mdavey
enthusiast

Quote:
How goes the manual?! =]

Pretty much finished. I need to edit a couple of photos and check the quality of a couple of other ones. I am also waiting for one person to get back to me about permission to use their words, but haven't chased.

Actually, I have been finding it hard to motivate myself (mild depression) - I have been putting off getting this finished. I'll try to finish it over the next couple of days.

BTW, if anyone has memory installation pictures for a MK1, it isn't too late to include them in the manual - so please PM me.

Sorry for dragging my heels.

#196689 - 21/10/2004 20:01 Re: memory - random requests for information [Re: mdavey]
loren
carpal tunnel

Hey man, no rush. I was just curious because i'm about to have a go at it... or send it to someone depending on how difficult your how-to looks! =]

Thanks again for doing it at all!

#372241 - 30/08/2019 20:59 Re: Thoughts of more RAM... [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Today I decided to upgrade another of my Mk2a players to 32MB RAM by stacking a chip on top of each of the two existing chips. My eyesight is not as sharp as it once was, and my memory definitely isn't!

I put the two chips on using the ultra-fine 0.1mm tip on the soldering iron. BIG mistake. That tip is way too small to hold sufficient heat or sufficient solder. After fussing for a while trying to get the new chips to pass the memory test, I clued in and put the 1/32" tip on the iron instead, and then re-soldered all of the pins. Worked first try after that!

One useful thing I saw while fussing around during the non-functional stage, was that the Hijack memory test has had a slight bug. I got this message and the player continued without recognizing the extra RAM:
Code:
Checking for extra DRAM:
c1000000: wrote ffffffff, read ffffffff

So.. it wrote ffffffff and read ffffffff.. but still failed the test? BUG! Hijack wasn't caching the readback value for use in the error message, so when printing the wrote/read message it actually read it AGAIN.. getting the correct value after first having read an incorrect value. So I've fixed that now (Hijack v525 will be out shortly), and also added the missing mb() memory barrier there too. smile

So.. anyone else doing a new memory upgrade would be best served to have Hijack v525 installed before doing the upgrade.

Cheers!

Attachments
mem1.jpg

Description: Upgraded RAM.

mem2.jpg

Description: A nice and tidy stack!

#372243 - 31/08/2019 14:06 Re: How things could become more difficult... [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Thusly encouraged, and still having a few more RAM chips in the box, I decided to tackle yet another memory upgrade while the technique was fresh in mind.

For some reason, this time I had more trouble straightening the pins on one of the two chips, but managed it after 10 extra minutes of fussing. The soldering went well (using the 1/32" tip this time!), and I hooked up the RAS1 line to the SA1100 and powered it on.

Nothing. Nada. Well, okay, blue LED at rear of player was lit, but nothing at all on the serial port.

20 minutes of panic and stuff later, and I finally touched up the solder on the SA1100 pins around the recently freed RAS1 pin. Success! Must have removed too much solder when lifting that pin. 90 minutes in all this time.

Maybe I'll stop now that I'm "ahead" (whatever that means).

#372244 - 01/09/2019 23:48 Re: How things could become more difficult... [Re: BartDG]
gmarsh
new poster

Loc: NS, Canada
My preferred tip for a job like this is a knife tip:

https://www.hakko.com/english/tip_selection/type_k.html

Put lots of flux on the pins and drag solder like you're soldering a LQFP to a PCB. Just make sure you get rid of the flux when you're done.

It doesn't look like there's any non-washable parts on the motherboard so don't be afraid of giving it a good soak in alcohol.

#373623 - 01/12/2021 13:40 Re: How things could become more difficult... [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Another user was asking me for instructions on doing the memory upgrade, and I have pointed him back to this thread here.

But for some reason, I was unable to find a link to Stu's excellent Memory Stacking guide that he had on his Eutronix site.

So.. attaching it here now.

Attachments
memory_upgrade_chipstack.pdf (135 downloads)

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14