Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#198787 - 15/01/2004 14:51 WinMobil
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm sure this has been discussed before on some forum, but I couldn't find it.

Apparently Microsoft has gotten into the game if ICE with WinMobil. Yeah, it runs Windows (slimmed-down XP I assume), but I can't get a sense of exactly how much this is a Microsoft project. Does anyone know?

I'm not saying this an empeg replacement or anything, just wanted to see what people thought of it.

Also, does anyone have info on that LCD with tactile buttons that was supposedly shown at CES? That sounds seriously cool. Of course, I probably completely misheard about that one.

*edit*
Nope, I didn't. That sounds very very cool. I'd love to be able to try it out somewhere.

Here's TechTV's article.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (15/01/2004 15:05)

#198788 - 15/01/2004 15:07 Re: WinMobil [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Velly Intelestink.

Can't get a clear read from that web site on whether it has a hard disk or what. Or who does their GPS software. Or whether it's using some sort of XP derivitave for its OS. Or...

Actually, I can't really get any clear information from that web site at all. No screen shots, no detailed specs, no nothing... Just a lot of pictures of boxes and accessory bits...

Still, a fully integrated DVD/MP3/GPS system is something I'd want if it worked well...

#198789 - 15/01/2004 15:24 Re: WinMobil [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Indeed. That's the impression I got as well. There really isn't any info on interface connections either. Just that it interfaces

Upon looking at the specs, I'm guessing you're basically paying for a barebones system and a processor. From the language I'm guessing (not a good thing), that there is no hard disk included, but it has space for a 2.5" disk. Same thing with the RAM.

I'm further confused by this lack of a hard disk. Does the thing come with a WinXP install disc, to be installed on whatever hard disk you choose to install? Is it just regular Windows?

You're right, they leave a lot of unanswered questions And you're right, the idea is interesting

*edit*
Okay, I see it now. They sell their own software seperately from the unit. I tell you, if you wanted to go all out with this system, it appears you could spend well over $3000, even without a screen to display it all on!

I still cannot get a sense of how Microsoft is involved, if at all (officially).

Edited by DiGNAN17 (15/01/2004 15:36)

#198790 - 16/01/2004 08:23 Re: WinMobil [Re: tfabris]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Still, a fully integrated DVD/MP3/GPS system is something I'd want if it worked well...

The hardware is out there now to do this, touchscreens are cheap, and multiple software applications for touchscreen for this kind of stuff. The best I've seen so far is Coyote MediaCar, it actually embeds mappoint 2004 and looks very polished. This Is the main site but it's not up yet, This is the horrid website where you can actually download the app (beware it's french). There is also media engine (which is touted to be the best) but I didn't care too much for it, and about 10 or 20 more contributions, some even utilizing voice control, all freeware. I would guess that system is probably running XP embedded (just a guess).

#198791 - 16/01/2004 08:28 Re: WinMobil [Re: Dignan]
lopan
old hand

I'm further confused by this lack of a hard disk. Does the thing come with a WinXP install disc, to be installed on whatever hard disk you choose to install? Is it just regular Windows?

I noticed that the cases they were using look exactly like "Casetronics/Travla" mini-itx cases. Basically you have room for a mobo, the optical drive and a laptop drive. You could probably build the same box for less then 300 bucks. I would be very interested as to what the software options are though.

#198792 - 16/01/2004 08:54 Re: WinMobil [Re: lopan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Another software option is Media Engine. Both of those have development forums over at MP3Car. Seems the main difference is that MediaCar is based on winamp and MediaEngine is based on WMP9

EDIT: oops...I see you mentioned it.

#198793 - 16/01/2004 09:09 Re: WinMobil [Re: JBjorgen]
lopan
old hand

I remember you used to tool around with car PC's, have you been keeping up with whats available now? I unfortunately have been sucked back in. Still, I can't let go of my Empeg, so I'll have to figure out a way to encorporate it with my touchscreen.

#198794 - 16/01/2004 09:57 Re: WinMobil [Re: lopan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yeah...I lurk a little bit. I was one of the first members over there. Even though my register date shows 07-29-1999, I was there before that...the forum crashed at one point and everyone had that join date when it restored. I believe that forum was inspired at least in part by Hugo's MP3Mobile. That and the CAJUN site were all that was availible back then. I registered for the empeg early in the queue. I was fresh out of college and broke when my queue number came up, and I couldn't afford to buy. My first mp3car was a CAJUN box, followed by a laptop running winamp, followed by an Advantech SBC with 8.4in LCD and slot-load DVD. After the empeg firesale hit, I bought one and then realized how much better the software was (not to mention the community). I sold my carputer stuff piecemeal and have been here ever since.

#198795 - 07/02/2004 11:53 Re: WinMobil [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
It's just a third-party front end like so many others. Just a much nicer web page. Coupled with off-the-shelf motherboards and small cases. Plus off-the-shelf retail third party interface devices (the remote thing and the volume wheel by Griffin).

There's still some DIY element to the whole setup from what info is available on the website.

Bruno