Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#199040 - 18/01/2004 04:04 External HDD is out, how about CD changer?
rcldesign
new poster

I am not too familiar with the communication protocol used by various CD changers, but it would make sense if it was a serial connection of sorts. Would it therefore be possible to control a common CD changer with the Empeg - perhaps utilizing some CD Text information for the display, and routing the audio through the AUX input?

Most of you must be thinking "we have oodles of MP3's, why would we want CD changers?" Well, maybe not a changer, but a single CD would be nice. That way when a guest is in the car, and wants to listen to a CD that is not contained on the Empeg, that option would be available.

Another possibility would be controlling a CD-ROM drive, thus making it possible to RIP CDs while driving. I can see how that whole idea would be quite the pain in the butt, yet I think that would be a GREAT idea.

Any thoughts?

#199041 - 18/01/2004 08:00 Re: External HDD is out, how about CD changer? [Re: rcldesign]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
As to ripping while driving: the empeg doesn't have enough memory to stash a track in memory, therefore having to write continously to disk while ripping.
There's a reason that the disks are mounted read-only and kept spun down as much as possible during normal operation...

Besides, tagging by picking letters with the buttons, the knob, the remote and/or a combination of them isn't something I'd like to do. A local (on empeg) freedb copy has to be kept up to date to be useful (at least if you buy recent releases...). If I still have to connect to a computer to tag the tracks or sync a freedb db, then I might as well rip the CD there as well - on a machine with a lot more horsepower and a net connection.

If you're in a hurry to hear tracks of a CD in the car, I'd say the best solution is to also install a CD deck. If not indash, then maybe in the glove compartment - or toss a portable CD player in the glove compartment...

As to controlling a CD changer - doable if you can reverse engineer (or obtain the info somewhere) the communication protocol for the changer you intend to use...

/Michael

#199042 - 18/01/2004 08:10 Re: External HDD is out, how about CD changer? [Re: mtempsch]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Or, if this is really an occasional thing, you can run the aux input of the empeg to a 1/8th" jack and connect a portable CD player as needed.

#199043 - 18/01/2004 08:18 Re: External HDD is out, how about CD changer? [Re: pgrzelak]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Yup, that's what I meant with "or toss a portable CD player in the glove compartment... "

/Michael

#199044 - 18/01/2004 08:26 Re: External HDD is out, how about CD changer? [Re: mtempsch]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
...Ooops. Sorry. I missed that from your original post. The coffee has not quite kicked in yet...

#199045 - 18/01/2004 08:39 Re: External HDD is out, how about CD changer? [Re: pgrzelak]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Figured as much, considering what the time is "Over there"...

/Michael