Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20072 - 11/10/2000 10:10 Purchase replacement loom?
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
No, I didn't break another one.

But space is very tight behind the DIN slots in my dash. I don't know if I'm going to be able to fit all of the cables hanging off of the empeg sled along with all of the wiring necessary for my other head unit. I'm going to do my best to make it fit but I may have to cut and terminate some of the empeg's cables. I hate to do this because who knows what I'm going to want to add to my system in the future. But I may have no choice. I'd just like to know that I have the option of purchasing a new loom in the future.

A suggestion for the empeg guys: it would definitely make my installation job easier if the optional cables were connected to the loom via plugs that I could remove if not needed. This is how my Blaupunkt connects to it's optional accessories like line out/in, IR control and CD changer.

BTW, my repaired empeg arrived today. The total turaround time was 3 business days! That's amazing especially considering that it involved a round trip across the Atlantic. What happened was an unfortunate incident but I have nothing but praise for the way that empeg handled it.

-Dylan

#20073 - 12/10/2000 08:58 Re: Purchase replacement loom? [Re: Dylan]
Verteggio
stranger

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Why not try zip-tying the cables in a nice little bundle next to the connector, and then routing them off to the bottom or side of the mount? I did this in my install, and it not only conserves space but keeps everything neat and tiddy.

A perfect picture of this is shown on bmihulka's page detailing his component box for the mk2. There is a shot of a top view, in which this has been done. If you leave a little slack inbetween the docking connector and the zip tie, it will also help with avoiding "pull" on the connector which might eventaully cause a wire to come off -- the zip tie will prevent the strain