Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#202968 - 07/02/2004 13:34 Help a Newbie! (Alpha...)
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
All,

Wicked busy getting ready for the upcoming Winter Alcan (for those who care more info here: http://www.alcan5000.com and here: http://www.teamd.org/rallys/2004/alcan )

Having encoded 30+ new-ish CDs in Ogg, I am highly motivated to run V3 Alpha if only for that feature and regardless of any bugs with other bits.

I find, however, that I may have munched my database again (on my 2-drive 60GB Mk2a "Rob"), wasn't able to synch with emplode or jEmplode, so went back to builder (twice) and reloaded Alpha5 and Hijack twice, manually deleting/rebuilding the DB at various points along the way. Well, no change in the result.

I'm could provide more detail and search old threads more, but time is running out before i revert to v2 and leave my new Oggs behind. My quest: Can someone who is successfully running Alpha5/6 just state their sequence of steps to get their database synching successfully? I think I am missing a step or that maybe I am using the wrong revision of Emplode at some point, or maybe applying Hijack too early....or something???

I do have a backup plan: Load Oggs on Karma and run that on Aux! I also (shudder) even gave ~$100 to the company that acquired Connectix so that I could run Emplode and other bits under Win2000 on the Powerbook along the way in addition to jEmplode.

Oh and another trivial quest: Does anybody know of a cheap, itty bitty 802.11b WAP that will run directly off of 12 volts DC? (We need to keep busy until we leave!)

Thanks!

(edit: "Empolode? No I'm a Dapper Dan man!" Also, Jim, it might help if you mention that you have been synching over ethernet but that you are going to try USB this evening to see if any difference...)

Edited by jimhogan (07/02/2004 15:58)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#202969 - 07/02/2004 17:12 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
You can never apply HiJack too early. What are the symptoms of the sync failure?

#202970 - 07/02/2004 19:03 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: jimhogan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Try v3-alpha-6!

I just used upgrader to apply it (took two minutes), and then it rebooted, tried to rebuild the database (which always fails when done on the player's own initiative), and then started up just fine.

I then ran JEmplode, which immediately forced another database rebuild attempt. Once THAT finished, I tweaked a playlist (to force yet another sync), and then did a sync via JEmplode.

All's well and working now with alpha6.

Cheers

#202971 - 08/02/2004 00:46 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: mlord]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
hmm, alpha6 isn't there anymore.

#202972 - 08/02/2004 10:15 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: jimhogan]
crazymelki
enthusiast

Loc: Switzerland
Hello jimhogan,

The Apple Airport is running with 12V DC.

bye

#202973 - 08/02/2004 10:46 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: mlord]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Derek, Mark,

Victory!

You can never apply HiJack too early. What are the symptoms of the sync failure?

It would stop at about the 4th step in Emplode with "unable to read database" or thereabouts....

Try v3-alpha-6!

Got it!

I just used upgrader to apply it (took two minutes), and then it rebooted, tried to rebuild the database (which always fails when done on the player's own initiative), and then started up just fine.

I may have been suffereing from a few misconceptions or NWADs or both. I thought builder image would complete wipe filesystems, but they didn't. I had forgotten the "player looks like it is rebuilding the DB but really isn't" you mention.

Finally, I downgraded to 2.0, manually deleted DBs, synched, upgraded to 3a6 and I am synching now. The only "lost" music were the Oggs which I have copied back. I assume they just dropped out of the DB when I downgraded.

Haven't tried jEmplode off the Powerbook yet.

All's well and working now with alpha6.

North to Alaska!

#202974 - 08/02/2004 10:50 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: crazymelki]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

The Apple Airport is running with 12V DC.

Fantastic. Sold! Now I just need to fab another RJ45 hoobyjobber for the sled in the car. And the Airport looks just like a cheezy dome light!

Thanks, Melki!

#202975 - 08/02/2004 11:11 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: jimhogan]
crazymelki
enthusiast

Loc: Switzerland
no problem,

I was using in my old car an Airport because of the 12V DC.

bye

#202976 - 08/02/2004 11:19 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The builder image is supposed to wipe the filesystems. You want the developer or consumer (I always pick developer) image, but as to whether the builder images don't, I can't say.

#202977 - 08/02/2004 11:23 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: Daria]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

The builder image is supposed to wipe the filesystems.

That is what I thought. When I got to a certain level of "to heck with it" frustration I ran/loaded builder *twice* with every expectation of wiped disks and every outward sign of success, but when I finally down/upgraded, the music -- it was all there. Go figure. No complaint!

#202978 - 08/02/2004 14:40 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The builder image is supposed to wipe the filesystems.
That is what I thought.
You thought correctly. If you ran the builder image and it didn't wipe your filesystems, that's because you didn't press Enter at the "disk appears to be already built" prompt which appeared on the serial port.

#202979 - 12/02/2004 11:04 Re: Help a Newbie! (Alpha...) [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

You thought correctly. If you ran the builder image and it didn't wipe your filesystems, that's because you didn't press Enter at the "disk appears to be already built" prompt which appeared on the serial port.

A week wouldn't be complete if Jim didn't get a modest dope slap from any of a number of FAQs! I thought I pressed "Enter" the 2nd time!!

It is going better now. Emplode has gotten back into the mode where it crashes at the very end of a synch operation and the player needs to be rebooted to reconnect. I remember this from long ago. It doesn't yet seem to be fouling up database, but it is alarming my navigator!