Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#203910 - 11/02/2004 13:07 Using Karma as car audio aux device
puckalicious

I am planning on hooking up my Karma to my stock stereo with an FM modulator, I was hoping to use one of those PAC adapters but I don't have a slave CD changer to make it work. Since I am already degrading the sound quality with the FM modulator do you think I can just output the audio through the headphone jack to the modulator? Since the RCA outputs require the cradle and I don't have room in my car to mount a cradle (or even know if I can get an extra cradle) I was hoping the headphone jack would work. Any suggestions?

#203911 - 11/02/2004 13:20 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: puckalicious]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was hoping to use one of those PAC adapters but I don't have a slave CD changer to make it work.
Have you tried www.rcainput.com ? The adapter I got there did not require a slave CD changer. I use the headphone jack to connect my Karma to my wife's car stereo through the interface and it sounds great.

#203912 - 11/02/2004 13:22 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: tfabris]
puckalicious

I guess I should cancel that order I just placed with crutchfield...

Thanks for the link.

#203913 - 11/02/2004 13:26 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: puckalicious]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
First make sure they have an adapter that will work for you.

#203914 - 11/02/2004 13:40 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: puckalicious]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
My wife runs hers through an FM modulator (isn't FM modulator redundant?) out of the headphone jack and it sounds reasonably good. Not fantastic, but passable for a non-audiophile. I listen to it and it doesn't bother me, but don't think I could live with it if it were my car.

#203915 - 11/02/2004 15:34 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: tfabris]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
...and posting what car & year might make it easy for us to find one for you.

Using the headphone jack as opposed to the RCA outputs shouldn't make for that much of a differance IMHO.

Might there exist in the future a car dock for the Karma? Something that would sit into a cupholder and have audio outputs & power inputs and while we're at it ethernet so new tunes can be up loaded via a wireless link

#203916 - 11/02/2004 15:39 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: Phoenix42]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Might there exist in the future a car dock for the Karma? Something that would sit into a cupholder and have audio outputs & power inputs
probably a pipe dream, but if it happens it'd be nice if the player would also pause when the power was cut. One of the drawbacks to using the Karma in the car is that you have to turn it off as you turn off the car or you loose your place. A docking station could potentially take care of this.

#203917 - 11/02/2004 18:32 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: JeffS]
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
isn't FM modulator redundant?

Off the top of my head I'd say no as the FM (Frequency Modulated) refers to the nature of the radio signal being transmited whereas "modulator" refers to a device that converts a line signal to FM radio waves. It's nested modulation.

But I'll stand to be corrected by someone better than me at this.

#203918 - 16/02/2004 12:49 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: Phoenix42]
puckalicious

Well I am assuming the GM 9-pin version will work for my car, a '98 pontiac grand prix. It gets delivered tomorrow, not sure when I'll have a chance to try the install (in the middle of home remodeling).
As far as worrying about power supply it's not a concern with me, the radio stays on for 15 minutes (or until a door is opened) after the car is shut off. I don't know if that's what was meant by Ferret's post. I never leave my Karma in the car anyway.

#203919 - 17/02/2004 03:59 Re: Using Karma as car audio aux device [Re: Phoenix42]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Might there exist in the future a car dock for the Karma?

A couple of extra ones exactly as supplied with the Karma would suit me fine, but without the power supply brick - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - as James Brown once said!

I've been using the Karma with the 4.5 volt car adaptor that came with my CD walkman, and it works just fine - not - as Tony rightly points out that it's a problem with 14 hour battery life.