Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#208327 - 06/03/2004 05:31 Custom Dash Board Facia, where to start???
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
It looks like it's going to be a much bigger job than I thought to get a Double DIN configuration into the Smart Car, the ash tray under the DIN slot will fit the empeg in but I'm going to have to make a custom facia adaptor to make it look pretty.

Any ideas on where I should start??? What materials I should be using or if there is someone in the UK who can make me one???

Cheers

Cris.

#208328 - 06/03/2004 08:18 Re: Custom Dash Board Facia, where to start??? [Re: Cris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Never had to build one yet, but here are some things I'd consider:

How would it attach to the rest of the dash? Is there a piece there already with things like clips? Then I'd consider using that piece and do any cutting and buildup neccessary with it as the base.

For building up I'd consider fibreglass and resin (larger fairly smooth areas) or putty with glass fibres in it (backside reinforcements, packing an existing mold, smaller areas). If you need buildup with no real strength I'd look at the stuff the guy that built the Y2K Bug computer "case" used, some form of 2 part putty [Milliput seems to be the name] that hardens after being kneaded together.

It might also be possible to do it all in wood, solid or something like MDF. Stack and glue for the required thickness, cut/route out the outer shape and the DIN size opening, then cut, grind, rasp, file and sandpaper to the wanted shape.

Whatever way you go, you'll want an easy to sand putty to finish off the surface with (before painting or covering).

/Michael

#208329 - 09/03/2004 08:18 Re: Custom Dash Board Facia, where to start??? [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I've been out in the car park, studying a Smart, as a suggestion, presuming the whole width under the HU to be the ashtray, I'd order a spare ashtray (so you can put it back to normal, when it comes to sell it) and keep the two side sections, dremelling (Is that a word!) them off, glue two sheets of plastic, top and bottom, to link the two side pieces you're left with to Empeg sled size, cutting holes for the tongues on the sled*, preferably secure the sled at the back to bulkhead or similar. You should have seen the one in my Range Rover, it looked as though the Empeg was a factory fit.

I'll have a look at it, if you're around my home or office, to come up with a more definitive suggestion.

*and to ensure sufficient ventilation

Plan B, ask Jerry at Unicar if they've done a similar fitting, mention my name, I've dealt with him for years - if you hold up your Empeg, he'll sus that you're a friend of mine! Of course, they'll want to charge a commercial rate.

Edited by boxer (09/03/2004 08:27)

#208330 - 09/03/2004 08:26 Re: Custom Dash Board Facia, where to start??? [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I will have to do a small amount of dremmeling to get the empeg to fit in the bottom slot, my headunit fits fine, but the empeg is very tight (could of course just put the empeg on top!)

I've already got the part number for the ash tray (only £12!) I'm going to put an order in for that next time I'm down there.

There is only one other problem, the facia adaptors for the top slot are in black, but the ash tray would be grey, so would require loads more work to get the whole lot to match.

Just starting to wonder if it's worth putting the empeg in the car at all, I could just stick the Karma in the ash tray and hit random and play it into the Aux in on the headunit.

I was thinking of nipping down to your office tommorrow, I have to go to town anyway, will this be cool???

Cheers

Cris.

#208331 - 09/03/2004 15:14 Re: Custom Dash Board Facia, where to start??? [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Yep! Try and give me a time, I'm doing hard nosed high finance most of the day! - well, trying to do a batter deal on the leases!

#208332 - 11/03/2004 02:32 Re: Custom Dash Board Facia, where to start??? [Re: Cris]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i have seen smarts with amps in why not bin the head unit and stick them empeg in by it's self