Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209061 - 12/03/2004 11:55 Tuner Question
belezeebub
addict

Maybe this question is better asked to Pcats but I'll give it a shot.
I am selling my tuner cause I don't have room for it but seeing It hasn't sold yet I am considering changing my mind, my problem is I would need double the length on the wires to be able to mount it anywhere i have room in my POS car. so how long can the wires be between the tuner and the empeg ?
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#209062 - 12/03/2004 12:25 Re: Tuner Question [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Bam.

If anyone in Cambridge can give me a total max recommended cable length, then I will update that FAQ entry.

#209063 - 12/03/2004 14:01 Re: Tuner Question [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

Dang Faq Master T strikes again

I still think he is eather a Very well written piece of code with great AI or a person that hasn't slept since Nixxion was in office... cause anytime day or night if anyone posts a question that is even remotely in the FAQ he replies.

Edited by belezeebub (12/03/2004 14:41)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#209064 - 15/03/2004 17:26 Re: Tuner Question [Re: belezeebub]
belezeebub
addict

I would need about 11 more inches to reach a void and be able to mount the tuner.

Still no reply from the EMPEG God's as too how long the wires can really be.

#209065 - 15/03/2004 20:39 Re: Tuner Question [Re: belezeebub]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

As far as I can tell you shouldn't have any problems. The CPU->tuner communication is RS232 serial so should be fine with long cables.

#209066 - 16/03/2004 11:47 Re: Tuner Question [Re: genixia]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The CPU->tuner communication is RS232 serial so should be fine with long cables.
Okay, that's fine for command and control, But isn't the audio carried on two unshielded wires?

#209067 - 20/03/2004 19:05 Re: Tuner Question [Re: tfabris]
fishmonger
stranger

Loc: /home/fish
Ah, tuner talk. Perfect. I've been digging in the FAQ and searching the forum and can't find answers to this stuff, so I guess I should break down and ask.

I just picked up an original Rio tuner module. I recently uninstalled my empeg from my car, as I'm selling that car, so I have my empeg and sled indoors right now. I figured I could plug the empeg into the dock and power it off of the AC/DC converter, and power the tuenr off of the wiring harness on the dock. Should this work? I was hoping it would, but the light on the tuner doesn't come on, so I'm figuring that power must not make it back to the wiring harness. At least, I hope that's the case and the tuner isn't hosed.

Also, on the tuner, there are 3 connections - one for the plug on the wiring harness, one for the antenna, and then another that looks like a mini headphone connector. Is that was that third connection is? I don't want to power headphones off it or anything foolish like that, just wondering what the third connection is for.

Also - there's a round switch on the back that's labelled 0-9 and A-F. Anyone know what that does?

I suppose you could also just point me in the direction of a user's manual for the tuner, if there is one; I didn't get one w/ it, and there seems to be nothing like that on the web that I can find.

#209068 - 21/03/2004 00:58 Re: Tuner Question [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

But isn't the audio carried on two unshielded wires?

No..., only one!

#209069 - 21/03/2004 09:12 Re: Tuner Question [Re: fishmonger]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you have the empeg plugged into the dock, and are powering it off of the AC adapter, it may be in AC mode and not think you have a tuner attached. I'm not sure what needs to be done to allow a tuner to work when powered off of AC (check the threads involving Mark's Docking station), but using setting Hijack's Force AC/DC mode to DC might do the trick. It will still use AC, but run as if it's in the car.

The phono jack is to hookup a Sony Stalk remote control. The pin-outs are documented in the FAQ.

The dial allows you to specify the radio, and is related to Mark's Docking station (it's been a while, but I seem to recall that specifying a specific Tuner ID would let Hijack know it was in one of his docking stations.)

Edited by Yang (21/03/2004 09:15)

#209070 - 21/03/2004 14:13 Re: Tuner Question [Re: Yang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you have the empeg plugged into the dock, and are powering it off of the AC adapter, it may be in AC mode and not think you have a tuner attached.
This is incorrect.

Whether or not the player uses the attached tuner module is completely independent of the AC/DC operating mode. The tuner works fine in either mode, and you do not have to do anything special to make the player recognize it when it's in AC mode. Simply attach the tuner to your indoor docking station and it will work.

(Two...)

#209071 - 21/03/2004 15:01 Re: Tuner Question [Re: tfabris]
fishmonger
stranger

So, if I have it plugged into the wiring sled wiring harness, and have the tuner plugged in and powered off of DC, the tuner should work, right? I mean, at least power on. It shouldn't matter if I have an antenna plugged in, right?

#209072 - 21/03/2004 16:50 Re: Tuner Question [Re: fishmonger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Right. The LED (if your tuner has one) should light up WHEN YOU SELECT TUNER MODE from the Remote (press "Tuner"). You won't hear anything but static without an antenna of some kind -- stick a small wire into the jack, being careful not to short it on the ground surround.

-ml

#209073 - 21/03/2004 21:30 Re: Tuner Question [Re: mlord]
fishmonger
stranger

So, when I hit the Tuner button, nothing happens. It's apparently not possible to select the tuner, either thru the menus or using the remote.