Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#213143 - 13/04/2004 16:54 Amp questions in 2003 Miata
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
I am installing into a new 2003 Miata. I have an amp and all the appropriate cables, but I don't want to sacrifice the trunk space if I can find another way to do this. Here is my situation.

I have a Bose system that seems to have a seperate amp. Unfortuantely, the stock HU is wired into the amp through the factory wiring harness. No RCA inputs on the amp that I know of. Is there some sort of converter that I can use to turn the RCA outputs from the sled into regular speaker wires so that I can "plug" the sled into the factory harness, and thereby use the Bose amp? Like I said, it would save some precious trunk space (ever seen a Miata trunk?), and alot of headache pulling cables through the car.

Hope that all makes sense. Let me know if this needs clarification.

Jeremy

#213144 - 13/04/2004 17:30 Re: Amp questions in 2003 Miata [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Such a device probably exists, the trick is finding it. Here is an example of one such device. However, it may not be the right device for your particular car. Have a look at PAC, www.tune-town.com, www.rcainput.com and other similar places.

Another thing to worry about, some cars with a Bose amplifier, the amp only powers some of the speakers and the other speakers are powered by the head unit. Do some googling and see what you can come up with regarding specs on your particular model.

#213145 - 13/04/2004 17:39 Re: Amp questions in 2003 Miata [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hm, tune-town says the OEM-1 is the right thing. Remember that the empeg is a "Universal RCA" radio to their online ordering system. That's important in selecting the "A Cable" in their diagram.

Hope they're right.

I'd double-check online to see if anyone else has had success with your particular model of Mazda...

#213146 - 14/04/2004 09:53 Re: Amp questions in 2003 Miata [Re: jstrain]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
I have a 2001 Miata with the Bose system...bypassed everything for my install....i understand that the bose speakers at only 0.5 ohms so do not use them with an aftermarket amp

i have replaced them with Infinity separates and installed 2 amps in the trunk...one for the door speakers and one for the sub that i installed in the passenger side footwell

i stacked the amps on top of each other in the left side of the trunk but did not cover the small 'well' compartment under the antenna

i never had a problem with not enough storage space as i really only use the car locally

good luck!!

#213147 - 25/04/2004 19:36 Re: Amp questions in 2003 Miata [Re: jstrain]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
There's room in the two hidden tunnels between the trunk and the cabin for smallish amps.. pull the little clip 'screws' out to remove the molded side 'carpeting' stuff off the front of the trunk.