Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#214050 - 22/04/2004 12:23 Why do I pay my taxes?
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I don't understand it. It seems like every other week some association calls looking for donations. So far this year I've already donated to my local Police Officers Association ($100) and my local Legion Post ($25) and I've just had a call from New England Police Association soliciting cash for 'advanced training'. I know that my local Firefighters' Association will call at some point too. Where does it end?

Where are the 'phone calls from the "Software Engineers' Association" ? Why shouldn't the donate to pay for my training, or donate to provide funds to my family in the event of an accident?

It just doesn't add up. I'm sure that if George can find $100B+ for his pet project then he could find 1% of that to actually fund the veterans' needs. The Police seem to do a good job of holding Massachusetts hostage to get what they want (like mandated paid overtime for sitting in their cruisers at roadworks), so I am fairly sure that they have life insurance, probably paid for by the taxpayer.

Why do these organisations feel entitled to donations?

#214051 - 22/04/2004 12:58 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: genixia]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
a different question...
why do you pay these donations?

#214052 - 22/04/2004 12:59 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: genixia]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
The question is why do you feel entitled to give it to them?

#214053 - 22/04/2004 13:00 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: loren]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
heh
beat you

#214054 - 22/04/2004 13:11 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: RobotCaleb]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

'cos I'm a sucker with a good heart, as are many people. Playing on that is despicable.

FWIW, my local Police aren't getting a penny for a few years. A local ticketed me as I went through a yellow light, and it's going to cost me about three hundred dollars in insurance for the next 6 years.

#214055 - 22/04/2004 13:46 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: genixia]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
We have a similar agency in Missouri that calls "The Missouri Sheriffs Association" or some such nonsense. My Mom once get fed up and called and called her local county police department who told her they haven't received a dime from any such organizations. Next time ask them what their administrative costs are- and if they don't tell you hang up. My guess is their admin. costs are probably in the 70-80% range.

#214056 - 22/04/2004 14:02 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: genixia]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Effect:

"It seems like every other week some association calls looking for donations."

Cause:

"So far this year I've already donated to my local Police Officers Association ($100) and my local Legion Post ($25)[...]"

You are now on their list someplace, and I wouldn't put it past them passing that list around. The more you give the more they are going to hit you up for more. If you do give, do it anonymously is my advice.

#214057 - 22/04/2004 14:03 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: siberia37]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Yeah what siberia37 said...

Many of these organizations, mostly the law enforcement and firefighter associations have no connection whatsoever to the organization/department they claim to be collecting for. Here in Texas there was a DPS association a few years ago that was exposed on one of those "Channel X on your side" features. Kind of pisses off the LE guys, too.

Just as with any donation, research them first if you really want to know where your dollar goes.

#214058 - 23/04/2004 06:34 Re: Why do I pay my taxes? [Re: genixia]
Redrum
old hand

My company has a good angle. They press us employees for donations, then write a big check to the charity. The company comes out looking like a "great corporate citizen" while us employees pay the bill.

The company even got a 100+ million dollar tax break from the city while I have to pay city tax to a city I don't even live in. They got the money by threatening to leave. If they did, the city would be kissing my tax money goodbye.

It all sucks

I have a very black heart I guess.

Since I am ranting another thing I hate is when I see someone giving money to a bum on the street. Most of these bums look very able to work, are dressed nicely and no doubt have a good income begging. If people (and the government) would just stop giving them money maybe they’d get a job and be a productive member of society, while also lowering my taxes. Burger places always need people. When I was going to college it was “to good for me” to flip burgers.

Well enough from Scrooge.