Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#217587 - 02/06/2004 08:24 JEmplode and Mac OS 9 - Forced sync on connect
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I'm at a friend's who has a G4 with Mac OS 9. I'm trying to get JEmplode 2 beta 11 working with my Empeg on his Mac, so I downloaded jemplode2b11-MacOS-VM.bin from the JEmplode Sourceforge page and installed it. I can get the Mac to connect to the Empeg via static IP's, but whenever JEmplode connects to the Empeg, it does the "downloading playlists" step, then instantly tries to sync with the Empeg. The sync goes ok, then JEmplode states: "rebooting player" and the Empeg reboots. At this point, the Empeg is back up and running, but JEmplode can not detect it, and it times out with a java io exception.

I've hooked the Empeg up to my laptop via the same network setup, and I can use JEmplode 2b11 just fine from my laptop. I forced a sync on my laptop (everything went ok) then switched back to the Mac. The Mac still wants to sync before it will connect.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I would love to post a serial log, but I do not have my serial cable with me.

Edited by cushman (02/06/2004 08:25)

#217588 - 02/06/2004 08:55 Re: JEmplode and Mac OS 9 - Forced sync on connect [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think you won't be able to get it to work with MacOS 9. As I remember, jEmplode relies on a version of the Java VM that isn't available for MacOS less than X.

#217589 - 02/06/2004 10:05 Re: JEmplode and Mac OS 9 - Forced sync on connect [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't think that version you just linked is current. I think you're better off clicking on "Jemplode" at the top menu bar of this page and using that version. The one you linked is something like 2 years old now. Mike has made a gazillion bug fixes and improvements since then, and the correct version is linked from the top of this page.

Bitt could still be right about the JVM, I'm not sure, but at least try that Jemplode version and the latest JVM you can get from Sun.

#217590 - 02/06/2004 10:23 Re: JEmplode and Mac OS 9 - Forced sync on connect [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Mac OS 9 does not have a recent JVM that you can download from Sun. The latest JVM that works on OS 9 is Apple's MRJ 2.5, which is based on the 1.1.8 version of the JDK. The latest version of JEmplode (at the top of the page) requires a later version of the JDK than 1.1.8.

So, I went to the Sourceforge download area and downloaded the latest MacOS version (with JVM and installer bundled) to see if I could get a previous version running, but I ran into the problem listed above. Just wondering if there is anyone still using OS 9 and JEmplode to connect to their Empegs and if they had seen this problem before.

#217591 - 02/06/2004 10:34 Re: JEmplode and Mac OS 9 - Forced sync on connect [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ah gotcha.

That version of jemplode is so old that I'd be very suspicious of it. I'd worry it would destroy my playlists or something.