Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#219991 - 08/05/2001 22:04 Conflicts With Existing Networks?
ReverendPoppy

I'm a little nervous about setting up my receiver, and a LOT slow about network stuff. So if you answer, please do so it terms an idiot (me) could understand. :)

I'm installing the PCI card in a computer that is already hooked up to a basic peer-to-peer network (no server). This machine is running WinME, the other two are running Win98.

Is this going to cause any problems? Is there anything special I need to look out for during setup?

Thanks.

#219992 - 09/05/2001 12:11 Re: Conflicts With Existing Networks? [Re: ReverendPoppy]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
I'll let someone post who's actually got one, but there should be no problems with this setup at all.

A common mistake is to think that a PC has an IP address - it doesn't. The interface has an IP address, so each interface will have a different value.

As long as there are no identical IP addresses this should (conceptually) be fine.

If you are installing the PCI card, that means that you are using the HPNA networking stuff, not ethernet (not that this is important, just thought I'd mention it).

Hope this helps.

Paul.

--
RioReceiver - Still Waiting for one in the UK.

#219993 - 09/05/2001 13:32 Re: Conflicts With Existing Networks? [Re: ReverendPoppy]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
If your PC is already on Ethernet, then you don't have to install another network adapter (provided, of course, that your Receiver has Ethernet and not that phone line contraption). You will also have to make sure that your existing adapter runs TCP/IP (as opposed to IPX/SPX and NETsomething - whatever was the name of Microsoft's version of IBM's original PC LAN protocol).

Hm, I am not that sure this helped....

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#219994 - 09/05/2001 22:47 Re: Conflicts With Existing Networks? [Re: bonzi]
ReverendPoppy

Thanks bonzi. Unfortunately, because of where I plan on putting the receivers (home theater, drum room, family room and master bedroom), I'm pretty much forced to use the "phone line contraption". My wife would kill me if I started tearing up walls to run network cables throughout the house!

#219995 - 10/05/2001 08:36 Re: Conflicts With Existing Networks? [Re: phaigh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
A common mistake is to think that a PC has an IP address - it doesn't. The interface has an IP address, so each interface will have a different value.

Acutally, it can be even more granular than that. Since the IP address is determined by the protocol driver, it's possible to assign multiple protocols (of the same type) to the same interface under Windows. You can have "TCP/IP->MyCard" in the control panel several times, each with different addresses.