Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221411 - 16/04/2002 13:40 Does the Receiver support MP2 ?
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Does the Rio Receiver support playing MP2 files ?

The "Import Music" action on the management tool definitely ignores files with a .mp2 extension. I changed extension of one of my MP2 files to .mp3 and tried to play it on the Receiver.

The Receiver recognised it was a 128k file, but thought it was an MP3 file (not surprisingly). When I try and play the file it refuses to, just showing the "stop" indicator.

So, does the Receiver support playing MP2 files ? If not, is there any chance of it supporting them in a future release.

My Rio Car plays the file correctly.

P.S. the reason I want to play MP2 files is because that is the native output from my new Wavefinder DAB radio and I would like to put together some software that will allow me to stream my MP2 output to the Receivers.

Edited by andy (16/04/2002 13:44)

#221412 - 16/04/2002 13:55 Re: Does the Receiver support MP2 ? [Re: andy]
Grundular
stranger

JReceiver ( http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net ) might support what you want to do.

#221413 - 16/04/2002 14:06 Re: Does the Receiver support MP2 ? [Re: Grundular]
andy
carpal tunnel

That would involve converting from MP2->WAV->MP3 on the fly, which would reduce the quality too far. At that point I may as well dump my new DAB radio and just encode the output of an FM radio on the fly...

#221414 - 16/04/2002 14:38 Re: Does the Receiver support MP2 ? [Re: andy]
florca
stranger

Gutted! This is *exactly* what I had planned to do with my newly ordered Receiver. I suspect that there are actually two problems here - firstly that the stream is MP2 and secondly that the sample rate is 48KHz.
I had originally planned to order a SliMP3 but backed off when I found the Rio at $100 less on Amazon. The SliMP3 guy (Sean) has tested a DABBar recording and says it plays fine, so may go back in that direction unless someone here can come up with a solution - maybe the guy trying the complete kernel re-write could add it to his enhancement list???
Phil - now older, $149 worse off and sadder.....

#221415 - 16/04/2002 14:56 Re: Does the Receiver support MP2 ? [Re: florca]
andy
carpal tunnel

I don't think the sample rate is a problem. The Receiver's player software must do sample rate conversion already for MP3s, so if we get MP2 support I don't think that will be an issue.

If we don't get MP2 support in the player I will probably go down the route of adding my own software to the Receiver dedicated to playing MP2 streams.