Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222309 - 10/10/2002 18:13 Making the central even more useful on the network
crocklobster

Well, it only took me buying a house and getting it wired with CAT 5, but I finally have my Rio Central up. As it happens, I'm now trying to upgrade my server's operating system. I want to backup about 20Gb of data. I was thinking that since I have about 35 gigs of (currently) empty network storage, it would be a great place for a temporary backup device during upgrade. It would also help for getting the mp3s off the device if I ever want to later.

I'd like to get telnet and one or more services running on the Rio Central probably in the following order of preference:
Samba
FTP
nfs

Who's got some good info on getting started? I've seen scant info on hacking the Central. Obviously due to the quite smaller user base. I have a keyboard attached right now and have already dropped into the shell.

How similar is it to putting a full distribution on the empeg car? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm not a Linux guru, but I know enough to be dangerous.

How cool would it be to have a Hijack type kernel for this device?

Chris

#222310 - 10/10/2002 19:15 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: crocklobster]
crocklobster

Actually, after a little more poking around, I did find and ftp client, so that'll do for now. Still, it would be cool to start collecting some hacking info on this device.

Chris

#222311 - 11/10/2002 03:12 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: crocklobster]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
How similar is it to putting a full distribution on the empeg car?

Just the same, except easier because the root partition is 128Mb instead of 32.

Peter

#222312 - 11/10/2002 05:43 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: crocklobster]
crocklobster

As it turns out, the ftp client didn't work for me either. I issued the rw and rwm commands (thinking it'd be similar to the car player). I created a directory in /drive0 for the files I wanted to copy, connected to my server and started an mget and I got an error to the effect "couldn't create temporary file, oops".

Any ideas?

Chris

#222313 - 11/10/2002 06:03 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: crocklobster]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Not anything as silly as a missing /tmp directory ?

#222314 - 11/10/2002 16:34 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: andy]
crocklobster

D'oh!

#222315 - 11/10/2002 16:53 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: crocklobster]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Was that a "D'oh, I wouldn't be that stupid" or a "D'oh how could I have been that stupid"

#222316 - 12/10/2002 09:15 Re: Making the central even more useful on the network [Re: andy]
crocklobster

The latter, except it's more like, "D'oh, I'm quite unaware of how that ftp client works." More of my linux newbieness showing through. :-)

It started working much better when I created that directory. Of course, it seemed to have a problem copying files above about 120Mb. (This one I figured out for myself) I then created a tmp dir in /drive0 and ln -s'ed it to /tmp. Now I'm able to copy larger files.

It still seems to crap out though, it's weird. It seems to unbind it's ip address during the transfer of a large amount of data (many files, or several large files). I have to get out of the shell and get back in to get it to work again. If I break it down to smaller chunks, it seems to work okay.

Thanks,
Chris