Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223004 - 10/04/2003 23:58 Getting PC MP3 files to the Central
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Hi all,
Just a quick question to those who own a Rio Central. I upgraded my version of Emplode as mentioned in a previous post.

Tonight I was goofing around a bit with it and thought I'd try to copy some MP3s up to the Central instead of ripping a CD directly in the Central. So I copied some CD wav files to the PC Hard drive, used LAME to make MP3 files and then set about using Emplode to get the files up to the Central.

I figure there has to be a better way than what I ended up doing, so I thought I'd make a post to this forum and see how others accomplish this. Who knows, if I get an easy workflow going for this, maybe I'll try someday to take out the CD ROM drive in the Central and put in a second HD with another 120GB of space...But that's another post for another day...

What I ended up doing is making a new playlist for the new music on the Central, selected the MP3s on the PC using Windows Explorer, right clicked on them a few at a time, then used the Paste command in Emplode to plunk the files down in the Playlist. So I ended up with all the desired files in the new playlist and then dragged them down to the Artists section, renamed them, etc. and then resynced the database to the Central. It took a bit of finagling but I ended up with a good set of MP3s for this new music on the Central.

Not something I'd want to repeat a whole bunch for each new CD, but I figure there has to be an easier way to do this.....Thanks for any input from the loyal forum readers...

Randy

#223005 - 11/04/2003 01:20 Re: Getting PC MP3 files to the Central [Re: The Central Guy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You can drag and drop files directly from Windows Explorer into a playlist in emplode.

#223006 - 11/04/2003 06:13 Re: Getting PC MP3 files to the Central [Re: The Central Guy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
thought I'd try to copy some MP3s up to the Central instead of ripping a CD directly in the Central.

It's interesting you'd try to do it that way just as a lark... I've gone to a lot of trouble to try to avoid ripping on my PC, because dropping a disc into the Jupe is so much easier.

I ended up with all the desired files in the new playlist and then dragged them down to the Artists section, renamed them, etc.

If the MP3s on your computer are already properly tagged, you don't need to do this step. Emplode will go by the tags embedded in the MP3 files. More information about tagging is here.

right clicked on them a few at a time, then used the Paste command in Emplode to plunk the files down in the Playlist.

As Roger said, you need to get familiar with your new friend, Drag and Drop. More information here. One caveat: The information I'm linking here talks about Emplode as it relates to the Empeg Car player. It mentions heirarchical playlists (the ability to make sub-playlist trees beneath the parent playlists), a feature that is deliberately disabled in the Rio Central.

#223007 - 11/04/2003 06:18 Re: Getting PC MP3 files to the Central [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh, one other thing...

If you already have the MP3s tagged properly on the PC, you can drag them up to the top of the tree rather than into a playlist folder. You can also drag them onto the main Emplode "home page" (the white screen with the web links on it). This will make them automatically go into the artist/album trees without going into playlists.

Note that in Emplode, deliberately dragging a file onto an Artist name will re-tag that file as that artist. I think the same goes for the other categories (i.e., drag a Rap song into the Country genre will re-tag the genre field for those songs).