Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223124 - 13/05/2003 17:35 tRio 0.1.3 testing
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Folks,

I have just placed an alpha version of tRio 0.1.3 on SourceForge. It'd be great if a few folks could give it a good trashing to iron out any bugs before it is released properly. In particular I'd like to know how it fares stability-wise.

Here is a copy of the change log:

1. Introduced a new "Jukebox" mode (contributed by Chris Campbell) - JReceiver only.

2. Introduced the concept of playback modes via a "mode" entry on player menu. This allows users to select between "Queue 'n Play", "Jukebox", "Radio" and "Listen" modes. Playback panel layouts adjusted accordingly.

3. Added shuffle and random support to "Queue 'n Play" mode.

4. Implemented playlist support for ARM users.

5. Introduced "track number" ordering for ARM users.

6. Changed the default tune ordering when "all tunes for artist" is selected from "tune title" to "album, track number".

7. Synchronisation enhancements:

7.1. All units listening to the same radio station are now automatically synchronised with each other.

7.2. Added "access" setting which controls whether a unit can be listened to and, if so, controlled by other units.

7.3. Listening units now have limited control over the unit they are listening to (if access="public").

7.4. Added synchronisation icons to show sync status.

7.5. Improved error recovery if synchronisation fails.

8. Line out volume can now be set to "fixed" or "variable" via the settings menu.

9. Performance enhancements which should reduce (and hopefully eliminate) skipping in HPNA set ups.

10 . Various bug fixes including:

- Fixed error causing drop outs during synchronised ogg/vorbis playback.

- Improved shoutcast error handling.

- Fixed bug causing some screen artifacts.

- Fixed problem where Receiver does not respond to power key after power off

I've updated the user manual in the /doc directory of the download, so you'll be able to read up on how it all fits together. Just open index.html and go from there.

And so if you are willing and reasonably switched on technically, you can download it from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=72920 and give it a try. Please PM to let me know that you've done this and keep me updated as to how things are going.

Cheers
Paul

P.S. happy_hammer66, justDave, I managed to slip that line-out feature in - I think you'll like the way I've done it.

P.S. danman, I'll be having a go at implementing that time-zone setting for the clock application over the next few days, so this might still make it into 0.1.3.

#223125 - 14/05/2003 19:53 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
justDave
stranger

The line-out is great. I like having the option to turn it on/off. HPNA is working fine too, thank you.

The new jukebox mode layout is nice, but it seems that in jukebox mode I only get to pick one track. Q&P is more like a jukebox. Have you considered replacing the old layout outright?

One small request, can Q&P start playing as soon as I add a tune (perhaps this should be an option)? I like to use it like a jukebox, pick some tunes, add a few more later, ...

I'm upgrading from 1.1 and have to say it all looks much cleaner. I'll have to use it for a bit before I can comment on stability but I am optimistic.

Excellent work!

#223126 - 15/05/2003 12:45 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
elperepat
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
Hi!

Just tried 1.3 alpha and it's great! Best additions for me, a ARM user, is random mode and album ordering by track number

I think I've find a bug though, or is it a "feature"??

When playing songs in Queue 'n Play, (select the songs, exit from menu and press play) everything is alright, but if I press play again, to "pause" the player, it reboots (empty blue screen, RIO searching for server, server found......... and return up to the playlist I selected, but stopped. Is it how it's supposed to be?

I plan to try JReceiver soon for the added functionnalities (JukeBox). Does it still have scanning problems? ie missing a file in every directory and problems with accentuated charaters? If so, I'll wait for 0.25.

Thanks!

Patrick

#223127 - 15/05/2003 13:11 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: elperepat]
pauln
enthusiast

Ooops, I've just noticed that Pause problem myself. It's actually something I added intentionally to test the recovery processing and forgot to remove.

I'm about to put an alpha2 version up which should sort this.

Sorry about that
Paul

#223128 - 15/05/2003 13:24 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
pauln
enthusiast

Folks,

I have just put alpha2 up on sourceforge. Here's what's changed:

1. Fixed Pause bug reported by elperepat

2. amendedFLAC resampling code

3. Added time zone support to the clock app

4. Corrected some glaring typo's in the user manual - please let me know if you see any others

Cheers
Paul

Edited by pauln (15/05/2003 13:48)

#223129 - 21/05/2003 00:52 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
pauln
enthusiast

Someone's just reported some skipping during flac playback. Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers
Paul

#223130 - 21/05/2003 06:10 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
dschuetz
new poster

I just installed 0.1.3 last night, but haven't had a chance to really hit it hard. I did find a couple quick bugs/nits:

* I couldn't figure out how (from the player menu) to allow remote access to a receiver (that is, to allow a "listener" to control it). I'm sure this is configurable from the trio.xml file, but it'd be nice to have it on-the-fly in a menu

* On a couple of occasions (I'm not certain enough of the sequence to duplicate the error) I couldn't get a playlist to come up when I push in the knob -- that is, I could start at the top (q-n-play), set up a queue, but then when I got back to the main menu, I couldn't get the playlist to display (so I could then start playing).

* It might be nice if the current playlist wasn't nuked when I enter another mode (though it'd obviously have to be dropped when I started playing a new list in that mode), but this might not be easy to do. (I was searching for the way to unlock listener control, from the master, and tried "Listen" mode (on a hunch), which then killed the list I was playing).

Also, I had a couple display glitches.

Anyway, I'll try and put it through its paces tonight, and start assembling a more complete list of issues, comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc....

Oh, yeah, it was slow to collect the tracks together into the queue -- that is, when I went to an artist, then selected a full album, it took some seconds to add those tracks to the queue. It took a LONG time to add a large dynamic JREC playlist (1100 tracks or so) to the queue. I'm guessing this is part of the previously-discussed need to fetch track numbers for each track to properly sort the queue. This might be something to request as a JREC enhancement -- the ability to have the returned list sorted on multiple fields, at the server level, so the client doesn't have to fetch all the info and sort it itself....

david.

#223131 - 21/05/2003 09:21 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: dschuetz]
pauln
enthusiast

David,

Good so see someone giving it a good going over - keep it up.

- I have an "alpha3" version that allows you to change both the Playback Panel layout and Access setting via a new Player Settings menu item. I'll put this up when I've sorted out the flac skipping that's been reported.

- With your playlist not comming up, were you pressing ENTER from the Playback Panel (to view the Play Queue) or were you selecting the Playlist entry from the menu?

- I'm suprised that your Play Queue was nuked - I would expect it still to be there when you reselected q-n-play mode. I'll give this a try myself this evening.

- With the display glitches, I have noticed that these sometimes appear where the scrolling banner used to be (when you press MENU or the likes). Does this sound right?

- I've noticed that the JREC stuff has slowed down myself. I'll look into it.

Cheers
Paul

#223132 - 21/05/2003 19:59 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
basf_audio

Loc: Saint Louis
Paul,

I've been testing Alpha 2 and having a wonderful time with it. I've even switched back and forth with using ARM and JREC... Mostly because there is a new version of JREC that fixed the bug in file naming of non ASCII characters... But the playlist support is still a little buggy so I switch backed to the ARM version...

The only items I've seen of any issue would be the XML file. The LISTEN to and RADIO sections didn't seem to like me cutting and pasting my old XML code into your new one. The radio streaming would give me an error as if the link wasn't good (but it is...) Your 4 radio examples worked fine though...

Next item was the LISTEN to. It wouldn't show up correctly until I simply replaced my XML file with yours... And reconfigured the names of the players. After that... It found all three of my players.

I still once in a while get some skipping on files over HPNA... but it's rare and not always repeatable. Sometimes it happens when all three are sync'd... but for now I'm not worried.

One little bug I've seen is the display not updating. Music will start but the icon remains grayed out and the time doesn't progress. Switching to the next song in the play list gets things working again.

Also - I'm not sure if this was in the docs (probably was...) but I kind of liked the ability to start playing music my simply holding down the play button when you're queuing music up... Instead of now having to exit exit exit from the queue list and then hit play.

I've also seen really long wait times when using JREC when doing a "select all" on the queue list. I have some 9,000 songs and it can take a good minute before I get anything back... And when it does come back, only 2,500 are listed (perhaps a JREC maximum...)

The last item I've seen (and I saw this with version 0.1.2) is that if the players are left on for awhile and I unplug the units. Plugging them back in to start playing requires me to restart tRio. The Rio remains at the initializing screen and you can see "Unit trying to connect" on your tRio command window... but it never connects. I'll see if I can get some output from that screen to show you... no big deal really. Just have to log into the server and restart tRio.

That's about it so far... A lot of great enhancements! And I didn't forget about those samples screens for you either!

I was curious about something though... (And I'll probably play with this soon) - On the screen layouts... Is it possible to simply have a very large text that scrolls the artist and song title that fills the entire screen?

Enjoy!
Dave

#223133 - 22/05/2003 09:45 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: basf_audio]
pauln
enthusiast

Dave,

Excellent - keep at it:

- Could you send me one of those station urls that isn't working.

- It's probably better to use my trio.xml as a base and paste in your old stations and change the unit names. I'm not going to loose sleep over this one, but it's good to know about.

- There is a problem where playback sometimes starts before the pre-buffering has finished. This will be causing your screen update problem and may also be causing skipping. I have a fix for this in that alpha3 version that I'm working on.

- Try pressing play again (on the same tune within 2 seconds) after you've queued a tune to start playback.

- As for the restart thing, I haven't noticed this myself, but I'll look out for it.

- Give your layout idea a go and I'll include it in the standard trio.xml if it works. A word of warning though: you may experience skipping and the receiver might crash if the banners are too large. But give it a go.

Cheers
Paul

#223134 - 26/05/2003 13:10 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
krisduffy
stranger

So I am really liking the new version to tRio. I've got 2 Rio's in the house now and definately want to expand after seeing the feature set in the last couple of versions of tRio. I do have a quick question though.
Currently I use Streamsicle to give me a good stream with a nice web interface on changing music. Inside the Trioxml i am able to provide more radio stations by adding them from shoutcast in a pls format. Streamsicle produces an m3u file for it's streaming ability (When clicking on the tune in). I've created a pls file in the same format as thoughs on the web pointing to my server but the trio console gets garbled and just loops when i try to run it. Is it because pls files are dynamic and some of the info is wrong or that the format Streamsicle plays in is different from that of a normal shoutcast server.

Is anyone else using streamsicle to play music through a web interface? I also have Jreceiver installed but havent used it since the new update.

Let me know what else I can provide if you require further testing.

-Duff

#223135 - 29/05/2003 03:41 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: krisduffy]
pauln
enthusiast

Duff,

Firstly, sorry for taking so long to respond, but I'm on vacation at the moment and don't have ready internet access.

On you query, I think what you'll want to do is set your streamsicle up as a radion station by adding a <station> entry to trio.xml for it. The url would point to the location of your .pls (in file://c:.. format, I suspect).

Cheers
Paul

#223136 - 03/06/2003 13:03 Help w/ HPNA [Re: pauln]
AshleyF
stranger

I am trying to use trio on a windows xp box running a HPNA adaptor as well as a ethernet card which is hooked to cable modem.

The rio is hooked to the HPNA card and I am running riot w/ the orig. arm software.

I can get the rio to boot, find a music server then show me the trio screen that says waiting to retry and that is it.

On the PC side I have the arm software running and the .bat file running, it shows me this as the last line in the dos screen:

creating udp socket. local port: 19680, timeout: 15000

thats as far as I can get.

Help!

#223137 - 08/06/2003 23:29 Re: Help w/ HPNA [Re: AshleyF]
ADent
stranger

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I am at the exact same spot as Ashley is at.

When I run trio.bat I get:
In reply to:

Start of TRioServer. Version 0.1.3.alpha2
Loading TRioPlayerLayout: universal
Loading TRioPlayerLayout: windows
ImageTranslation: byte-binary
Creating sockets
creating udp socket. local port: 19680, timeout: 15000

Is something else supposed to happen? The Rio just sits there waiting for retry.

I have downloaded the trio files. Downloaded JAVA 1.4.1_03. Edited the trio.bat and trio.xml files. I am running XP Home.

#223138 - 09/06/2003 00:55 Re: Help w/ HPNA [Re: ADent]
pauln
enthusiast

We fixed Ashley's problem by changing the ip address on his hpna adapter to something in the 192.168 range.

Please open a command prompt and let me know what Ip Addresses are assigned to which adapters when you run "ipconfig /all".

Cheers
Paul

#223139 - 09/06/2003 16:46 Re: Help w/ HPNA [Re: pauln]
ADent
stranger

I will do that when I get home, but from memory it is 192.168.2.50 (I have just the built in 100BT port). I did edit the multicast from 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.2.255. The broadcast is left alone at 230.0.0.0.

The Rio Receiver is getting 192.168.2.14 from my DHCP server (POS SMC Firewall thing) - the PC is static.

#223140 - 09/06/2003 23:14 Re: Help w/ HPNA [Re: ADent]
pauln
enthusiast

Your ip addresses sound fine to me. I'll continue this by PM.

#223141 - 13/06/2003 06:02 Shoutcast problems [Re: pauln]
dschuetz
new poster

I've been unable to stream RadioParadise to my tRio units. It'll try to connect, then go into a reboot loop (boot, pause, crash, boot...) until I pull the power cord. It's pretty repeatable (hasn't not happened yet).

I've been really busy lately, but I'm still caching ideas away for fixes and/or enhancements. How about this one: Give the ability to save a playlist you generated at the receiver. Does the XML-RPC interface allow for that?

#223142 - 13/06/2003 12:48 Re: Shoutcast problems [Re: dschuetz]
pauln
enthusiast

I've had a look and it's croaking because radio paradise has chosen to write a small essay in their station metadata. It's overflowing some poorly checked internal limits in tRio.

I've tightened up the limit checking to handle this and will include the fix in alpha3 - which I'll make available soon. Unless you have any other feedback?

I like your idea about saving the playlists. But I haven't seen anything to support this in the JRec API.

Cheers
Paul

P.S. You should never have to pull the power-cord any more. Just press the power button on the very 1st splash screen and it'll power off.

#223143 - 20/06/2003 07:57 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: krisduffy]
damage
stranger

Have you gotten trio & streamsicle working together? If so, what'd you do? Thanks.

#223144 - 25/06/2003 06:34 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
adamcb
stranger

I tried to install the tRio 0.1.3 but I am getting a message that says it's trying to connect to the tRio Server. I am running on Mercury 1.3 version of the the server software and simply replaced the client arf file. Is there anything else I need to change to get this to work?

Thanks,

Adam

#223145 - 25/06/2003 09:17 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: adamcb]
pauln
enthusiast

You also need to run the tRio server on your PC. Take a closer look at the install instructions (in the doc directory or http://triot.sourceforge.net/inst.htm).

Cheers
Paul

#223146 - 25/06/2003 09:40 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: pauln]
adamcb
stranger

Thanks again Paul... I guess I overlooked that part...

Adam

#223147 - 25/06/2003 23:48 Re: Help w/tRio [Re: ADent]
ADent
stranger

Well after getting help from Paul I tracked it down to a DHCP conflict. My firewall is my DHCP server and I guess the ARM server is also a DHCP server and this combo does not work with tRio (though it does work with the stock client for some reason)

Is there a way to have a DHCP server and the ARM server working together? (I don't really want to turn off DHCP - mainly for my EMPEG and Laptop that go back and forth to the office).

I guess I will look at other server options now that tRio is working (if I turn off DHCP on my firewall).

#223148 - 11/07/2003 17:01 Re: Help w/tRio [Re: ADent]
justDave
stranger

Re DHCP conflicts, back in the early days of JReceiver (before RioBoot) I was messing around with ARM's registry settings. I believe I was able to do everything except what _I_ wanted (I wanted to keep dhcp and nfs but disable the arm server). Maybe we can get what _you_ want though. Take a look at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Multimedia\Audio Receiver Manager\1.0\Adapters

You'll see one or more adapters listed. Under each is a key "Bindings". Try removing ";dhcp" from the list. Might work. Might hose your system too - usual registry disclaimers apply.

#223149 - 12/07/2003 11:51 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: damage]
krisduffy
stranger

Sorry Damage, Still a no go. I've tried editing the xml file to add the station information as a pls file and as a m3u file which is what Streamsicle outputs natively. Anyone that has an idea on how to fix this, is much appreciated.
I'm more than happy to continue testing on it and below you'll see what i've tried.

First off my xml file has the two streamsicle entries below. Trio starts up fine so I dont believe i have any syntax problems. On top of that, when taking either of the two paths listed in the xml file and throwing them in my run line, Winamp will pull the station up immediately.

Trio.xml lines:
<station name="MaD Music Server Test" url="http://disturbance:8080/servlet/Streamsicle/playlist.m3u?action=m3u"/>
<station name="MaD Music Server" url="http://disturbance:8080/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=5197877&amp;file=filename.pls"/>

Under the M3U file it seems to take when i start from my rio player but i dont hear audio. Attached below is an image of the trio screen running.

[link]www.myasylum.net/images/M3uerror.JPG[/link]

Running the pls file seems to be a different story. When running that i get nothing but a bunch of beeps and garbled text like below.

[link]www.myasylum.net/images/PLSerror.JPG[/link]

If anyone has any other ideas to try, i'll be happy to play the part of the guinee pig.

*pics may not work just yet but will be up shortly*

Thanks again)

-Duff

#223150 - 14/07/2003 03:20 Re: Help w/tRio [Re: ADent]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
the ARM server is also a DHCP server

It is. However, it waits until the Receiver has asked for an IP address 5 times before handing one out. This means that it is exceedingly unlikely to hand out an address before your "real" DHCP server does.

Thus, if your "real" DHCP server isn't handing out an address -- that's a problem with your server, not ARM.

OTOH, you can turn off the DHCP server in ARM by following justDave's instructions.

#223151 - 14/07/2003 05:20 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: krisduffy]
pauln
enthusiast

Duff,

Please send me the output from the tRio console when you try connect to the .pls.

Is there anyway I could get through your firewall and connect to your streamsickle over the internet? This will allow me to debug this thing more quickly. PM me with your ip address if this is okay.

Cheers
Paul

#223152 - 18/07/2003 23:12 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: krisduffy]
damage
stranger

i've actually tried something else - the slimp3 server software instead of streamsicle. it streams just fine to winamp so i tried to set it up w/ trio. i get an error that says: "unexpected error connecting to station, cause: null" on the rio receiver.

is trio compatible w/ icecast? or is that different from streamcast? the trio server says:

PlayerStream (/192.168.1.161) - streamStart()
Opening station content url: ST1, conn: sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnect
ion:http://192.168.1.135:9000/stream.mp3
Opened station content url: ST1, method: GET, header fields: {icy-metaint=[32768
], x-audiocast-name=[SLIMP3], null=[HTTP/1.0 200 OK], icy-name=[Welcome to SLIMP
3]}
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at trio.player.TRioPlayerShoutcastServer.shoutcastConnect(Unknown Source
)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerShoutcastServer.getContent(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerARMServer.getShoutcast(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerARMServer.getContent(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerStreamImpl.streamGet(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerStreamImpl.streamGet(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerStreamImpl.streamStart(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerStationStream.join(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerUnitStream.setUnderlyingStream(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerUnitStream.setUnderlyingStream(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerStationDlg.selectStation(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerStationDlg$1.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at trio.gui.TRioCircularList.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at trio.gui.TRioKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at trio.gui.TRioWindowManager.dispatchKey(Unknown Source)
at trio.gui.TRioKeyDispatcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerRadioMode.showStationDialog(Unknown Source)
at trio.player.TRioPlayerRadioMode$1.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at trio.gui.TRioMenuDialog.itemSelected(Unknown Source)
at trio.gui.TRioMenuDialog$2.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

#223153 - 19/07/2003 01:28 Re: tRio 0.1.3 testing [Re: damage]
pauln
enthusiast

Hmmm, I've had a look and I *think* I can see why it's croaking. When I've got this v0.1.4 stuff more stable I'll send you a fix.

Cheers
Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >