Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223741 - 25/09/2003 23:24 Nice web interface for Rio Central?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm spoiled by CharcoalGray99's XML web interface for the Empeg Car. It allows me to connect to a web address which shows a nice table of all the playlists on the Empeg Car, and it gives me the option to either download or stream the files from the player.

I'd like to do the same for the Rio Central.

I know that there's no web server per se built into the Rio Central, at least not one like the one found in Mark Lord's Hijack kernel. So I'd be happy to implement it on the client-side somehow, using web pages that I can copy to the computers in my house and then create a shortcut to. That way, my wife, daughter and I could stream songs off of the Rio Central from where we're sitting.

Obviously I'd like it to retrieve the track listings dynamically, instead of just making static links to every song and playlist.

Based on Roger's Instructions, this should be do-able in any one of several ways. I think I could probably implement it in Visual Basic pretty quickly. But it would be interesting to see if there's some sort of XML/HTML way of doing it on the client side. That way whatever I implement wouldn't be limited to just Windows users.

Does anyone have any idea if it can be done that way, and where I would start?

#223742 - 26/09/2003 04:36 Re: Nice web interface for Rio Central? [Re: tfabris]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
stream the files from the player.
Dude, that would be pretty effen sweet! I moved the central to my office and it would be nice if I could stream to whichever PC I was working at.

#223743 - 26/09/2003 13:57 Re: Nice web interface for Rio Central? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Is the database format the same as on the EmpegCar ?

If so, then I suppose one could simply port the server bits of Hijack to the Central, which oughtn't be hard to do.

EDIT: actually, it's the *0 and *1 files that matter here, not the database format..

??

Edited by mlord (26/09/2003 13:58)

#223744 - 29/09/2003 03:12 Re: Nice web interface for Rio Central? [Re: mlord]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Is the database format the same as on the EmpegCar ?

For reference, no, it's not.

#223745 - 15/01/2004 12:25 Re: Nice web interface for Rio Central? [Re: tfabris]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Once I get the basic jEmplode support, the RioStreamer I wrote for the Karma should "just work" with only a couple lines to change the protocol impl ... Would that do what you want?

I'm totally new to what's going on w/ the HSX, so if I'm reinventing wheels, just let me know.

ms

#223746 - 16/01/2004 11:36 Re: Nice web interface for Rio Central? [Re: mschrag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In reply to:

Would that do what you want?

Possibly, but I've already got a little VB program implemented which does what I want. It's not quite release-quality yet, but it certainly works.

Still, there's nothing wrong with making your streamer app work with the central. I don't think that counts as re-inventing wheels.