Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224091 - 07/11/2003 02:47 TRio: changing Radio Layout possible ?
CeeGee
stranger

Hi, I'm using Trio-a5, Riot-a5, JReceiver together with a Dell-Rio. I was glad to see another release of Trio but it still crashes after 2-3 songs in jukebox mode. Rio reboots and waits forever until I restart Trio :-(
Does not happen when I use Streamsicle to 'streamfeed' the Rio in 'Radio' mode. But then the Display ...

I think "Only Artist" is not enough, the metadata Streamsicle transmits also transports the song name. I'd even sacrifice the "Station name" in favour of a Station No. and reuse that space for the song title. Or scrolling display like in Queue or Jukebox mode ?

Is there any layout/template/whatever file I could fiddle with ?

Have I overlooked something then just point me right please ?

Thanks

#224092 - 07/11/2003 08:00 Re: TRio: changing Radio Layout possible ? [Re: CeeGee]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
tRio currently processes the following icecast headers:

icy-name -> [source-name]
icy-genre -> [tune-info]

and processes the following metadata embedded inside the mp3 data stream:

StreamTitle -> [tune-name]
StreamUrl -> [tune-info]

The values in [square brackets] are the substitution variables which they are stored in (see the "Changing the playback panel" section in the user manual).

Please let me know what other values you'd like to see.

Cheers
Paul

#224093 - 08/11/2003 05:36 Re: TRio: changing Radio Layout [Re: pauln]
CeeGee
stranger

Hello Paul !
Thanks for the quick response (not to speak of your tremendous support here and your great software !).

"RTFM" as answer would have been enough, its all in there, you caught me, I didn't read it all yet, I'm sorry !

But I fiddled yesterday evening with trio.xml and "now I see why" its the way it is ... 'If' this stream format doesn't transport more, we can't display more" :-( And it seems to be thanks to this that we're told the time since we listen to the radio and not the "track time", right ?

I'd like to have (three lines in Fontsize 10 looks great):

Artist
Album
Song Title
Icon for Radio Total/Remaining track time

Is it possible to split [tune-name] [source-name] [tune-info-short] like part1 " - " part2 ? This would give two lines instead of the need of one long scrolling one ...

And you can have only one scroller at a time, isn't it ?

If not possible I'll try to concentrate and help you improve jukebox/queue mode or make a 4th mode: Party ;-)

"Party mode" would play the items queued and if the queue has run empty "switch" to "Jukebox mode" with the last song as argument to random(). Thus if anyone wants a special song you queue it and can tell him the remaining time until playtime (or: skip there with fade out/fade in) and if the queue is empty you get random music from 'the vast collection'.

Wow. A lot of text for a Saturday morning ...

Have a nice weekend

CeeGee

#224094 - 09/11/2003 05:49 Re: TRio: changing Radio Layout [Re: CeeGee]
pauln
enthusiast

CeeGee,

Maybe the best approach will be to make all the meta data available via their own substition variables (there isn't currently one of artist) and then allow you to mix and match as you see please. For example:

<field type="banner" value="[artist-name]/[genre-name]" row="2" ... />

The other thing that might help is if you could specify different layouts for each playback mode rather than the current one-fits-all approach.

From memory I think you can have up to 5 scrolling banners. But there's a cpu cost for scrolling each banner and so you might start experiencing skipping during playback if you add too many.

As for "pary mode" - all I can say is that it sounds good - go for it. I'd be more than willing to help out.

Cheers
Paul

#224095 - 09/11/2003 07:03 Re: TRio: changing Radio Layout [Re: pauln]
CeeGee
stranger

Hello Paul,
you wrote:

> all the meta data available via their own substition variables

Sounds great. Available when ;-? But it will work only if they're really transmitted and thus can be decoded.
Do you know already if all the tag data from e.g. an mp3 is hidden in a 'stream' ?

> you could specify different layouts for each playback mode

Exactly, like 'remaining time' mode, 'total time' mode, 'track running mode', 'Quiz mode' (guess the artist ;-)

> cpu cost for scrolling each banner

I thought so, yes, in raw CPU power Rio doesn't shine too bright so I didn't ask for a Sinus scroller or a Star Wars scroller effect like in the good old Amiga heydays ;-)

> "Party mode" [...] go for it.

Hey, you're the ace programmer ! I'll never match you ! I'm more than willing to test and debug (the random crashes of trio) and suggest features, but coding myself ?
Those times are over, I lost track ;-(

But you declared 'feature freeze' for 1.4, didn't you ?

So let's go and squash the "random hang" bug first !

have a nice 'lazy sunday afternoon'

cheers

CeeGee

#224096 - 18/11/2003 06:59 Re: TRio: changing Radio Layout [Re: CeeGee]
pauln
enthusiast

CeeGee,

I have done some work on this over the passed few days.

1. I've added the concept of "layout sets" to trio.xml. This allows you to have a different layout for each playback mode. This allows you, for example, to define one without a playback counter for radio mode.

2. I've added a whole bunch of additional substitution valiables

What I haven't done yet is define the layouts for each mode. Wanna have a go? If so, PM me with you email address and I'll send you the files.

Cheers
Paul