Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224163 - 19/11/2003 12:19 Another Rio competitor:Slim Devices new Squeezebox
markb
new poster

Details on http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html
These guys also offers an open source server as well that claims to work with ANY player. I have downloaded it and will give it a try, just to see.

Edited by markb (19/11/2003 15:37)

#224164 - 19/11/2003 13:33 Re: Another Rio competitor:Slim Devices new Squeezebox [Re: markb]
riocanada

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Interesting. I would have expected a bigger price drop on the Slimp3. $239 isn't much of a break. Nice devices though.

Considering I got two Rios (rebadged Dells) delivered to my door for less than $220 (US) I can't complain.

#224165 - 23/11/2003 14:57 Re: Another Rio competitor:Slim Devices new Squeezebox [Re: markb]
mike_n5pwp
stranger

markb
I hope you've had better luck than I have using the Slim server software. I was using it to stream to a wifi enabled Dell Axim to stream to my stereo. It worked pretty nicely. I even used it to stream over the internet to a friend. It worked although it was easily confused and would play different files speeded up or slowed down. I read it was because of the files being mixed stereo and mono and that was confusing the server.

I read about the Rio receiver and ordered one. I got a rebadged Dell unit and it works like a champ although NOT with the Slim server. So far I have not been able to get any of the 3rd party stuff to work reliably with the Rio. So I am stuck with the stock Rio software that has come to an abrupt stop in development. I will check back to see how it goes with you. Please, let us know if you have success and hopefully you will have good news for us.

Mike

#224166 - 24/11/2003 10:44 Re: Another Rio competitor:Slim Devices new Squeezebox [Re: mike_n5pwp]
markb
new poster

After reading that, I can't be bothered to try it. I use the ARM server and it works just fine for me when combined with Paul's excellent tRio client side software. I would recommend persisting with a rTio install: it is certainly worth it in the end. Have your problems not been addressed in the Forum?

M