Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224217 - 02/12/2003 23:15 How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central??
Bigdoe101
new poster

I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm trying to
open my rio central, but I'm have a hard time doing
it. I've removed the 6 screws from the bottom. I still
can't figure it out.

Tks!

David

Rio Central....and might be getting a rio receiver too

#224218 - 03/12/2003 00:13 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: Bigdoe101]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Hello,
Not a problem once you know the little trick....You press in on the sides of the box at the seam at about 25% of the way from each corner. That releases the plastic "catch" that is holding the box together....I'll draw it as a top view, using asterisks to show where you press...

|--------------------------------|
|------------------------------- |

I hope that helps....Randy

#224219 - 03/12/2003 02:31 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: The Central Guy]
Bigdoe101
new poster

Hummmmm......

So, let me see if I'm getting this

Front

|-----------Top View-------------|

Back

I don't see no latches on the case. Is this right?

David

#224220 - 03/12/2003 02:44 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: The Central Guy]
Bigdoe101
new poster

Hi,

So, now I got the cover off. I can't seem to get the hard drive out. I've removed the screws from the left side, but I can't get a screw driver down the right side? What should I do?

Help????

Tks,

David

David

#224221 - 03/12/2003 08:54 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: Bigdoe101]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Hi David,
Glad to hear that you have the cover off.....To unlatch the hard drive, you need to remove the screws like you've already done. Then on the opposite side of the drive mounting (closest to the outside edge of the case), there are two latches down low that have to be released. You should be able to see two slots or holes down low on the lower outside edge of the drive mechanism. I usually stick a small screwdriver or something pointed in there to push in and release the latches so the drive assembly can slide and release....That should do it, please give it a try....

Randy

#224222 - 03/12/2003 10:27 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: The Central Guy]
Bigdoe101
new poster

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your help!

David

David

#224223 - 03/12/2003 12:20 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: Bigdoe101]
Bigdoe101
new poster

I have another question. Do I need to do anything to the new hard drive when I swaping out the old one? As like copying the OS or formatting?

Tks
DAvid

David

#224224 - 03/12/2003 20:15 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: Bigdoe101]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Hi David,
I guess I'm your answer man today!!! When replacing the hard drive, make sure you set your master/slave jumper to match the drive you're removing. Then install the new drive blank with nothing on it...When you power on the Central after re-assembling, insert the CD that came with the unit and choose the option to reload or re-install the software. I forget what they call it, but you can't miss it. It will take care of installing the software on the hard drive and making it bootable.

fyi, you can install a 120 GB drive with no problems, but anything larger than that won't work. I've been doing some experimenting on a larger drive, but nothing concrete to report yet.

You also may want to consider running a longer hard drive ribbon cable outside of the Rio Central cabinet and connecting it to a removable hard drive enclosure. This lets me swap drives easily for backup, and I did have my main 120 GB drive fail a few months back. All my work ripping CDs and fiddling with titles would have been lost without a backup hard drive.

If you shop on Pricewatch.com. you'll be able to find a Maxtor 120GB 5400 rpm drive from JustDeals.com for about $72 or something. I use these slower speed drives in other devices like ReplayTV boxes to keep the heat down. And the faster response of the 7200 rpm drives isn't really needed...Or maybe you already have a drive in hand, so please write back and let us know how your upgrade goes....

Randy

#224225 - 03/12/2003 21:33 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Centr [Re: The Central Guy]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
I have found that the IBM 120gb drives do not work with the central...

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#224226 - 04/12/2003 11:43 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: The Central Guy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
choose the option to reload or re-install the software. I forget what they call it,

The option is called "Restore to As New", if I recall correctly.

#224227 - 05/12/2003 04:01 Re: How do you remove the cover for this Rio Central?? [Re: The Central Guy]
Bigdoe101
new poster

Well, I just finished setting up the central and it works great. I'm pretty excited! Although, it crashes alot. The first time it crashed was when I was uploading mp3 to it from my PC. The second time was when I ripped a cd. I guess it's kinda of quirky like that. I'm slowly trying to uploaded all my mp3. It seems to be working fine expect for those two crashes. I'm running 120GB Maxtor drive. Is this the only drive brand that will work with it? What are the brand that don't work with it other than those IBM Deathstar?

It's too bad about the 120GB limit regarding the Kernal. I've would have liked getting even a larger drive

Once again thanks for all your help!!!!

David

David