Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224285 - 19/12/2003 14:27 Rio Centrals For Sale
PacketRelay
stranger

I have a few of the Rio Centrals For Sale. Brand New sealed for $489
Can take paypal or money order.
Please contact with any questions.
Thanks

#224286 - 25/03/2004 00:40 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: PacketRelay]
downtownbrown
stranger

Loc: So Cal
I've seen you listed on Amazon, now here.
can you answer a couple questions?
Is it possible to record analog (vinyl LP's) to Rio Central Advanced Digital Audio Center?
Do you have an alternative that has Analog input?
I have a significant vinyl collectionI want to transfer to digital, but also want to jum a generation or so in order to get out of the stone age.
Thanks,

[email protected]

#224287 - 25/03/2004 11:08 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: downtownbrown]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Rio Central does not have any analog inputs and does not have any way to do recording. It can only use digital audio extraction on audio CDs placed into its CD-ROM drive.

If you like, you can digitize your LPs into MP3 format, using a PC and a sound card, then put those MP3s onto the Central using the Emplode software.

#224288 - 25/03/2004 15:45 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: downtownbrown]
PacketRelay
stranger

Yes, Tony is right, there are no inputs to the rio central. I have ripped a lot of my vinyl to mp3 on my pc and transfered them with a burned cd as an alternative to the emplode software because I do not have a connection to my pc.

#224289 - 25/03/2004 16:12 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: PacketRelay]
downtownbrown
stranger

Loc: So Cal
Thanks. Is there any non-PC stand-alone alternative for translating vinyl to MP3?
I use a company owned laptop that doesn't have a sound-card that works for this. (I learned the hard way after buying a Pinnacle Clean Plus with Phono Pre-amp for this purpose,, then learning it wouldn't work after all.)
Thanks,
Mike

#224290 - 26/03/2004 01:37 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: downtownbrown]
mduran
stranger

Mike,

You might want to take a look at this Panasonic quite unknown baby:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/portable_audio/sd_audio_recorder.asp

it contains an analog in-line channel. The thing compresses and stores your tracks in mp4 on a SD-card. You can also rip CDs.

Miguel

#224291 - 26/03/2004 11:19 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: downtownbrown]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there any non-PC stand-alone alternative for translating vinyl to MP3?

Yes, but a properly configured PC will give you the most control over the process and give you the best results. For example, a PC can give you fine control over the recording levels using on-screen indicators, and allow you to perform normalization on the files so that the digital versions sound more similar in volume to the rest of your CD collection. A PC can also give you the ability to edit dust pops out of the recording and equalize the frequency response. It will also let you edit the starting and ending points of each track with great accuracy.

But if you're dead-set on not using a PC, then I would recommend buying a standalone CD recorder such as one of these. Once you have converted the LP into audio-CD format, you can do whatever you want with the Audio CD, such as play it on a CD player, rip it to MP3 on the PC, or put it into a Rio Central to convert it to MP3.

Of course, after having said all that...

If it were me...

I wouldn't even bother trying to convert any of the LPs to digital form at all. I would rather buy the LPs over again in CD format. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's irritating to think that I'm paying a record company twice to own a second copy of the same recording. But quality is of utmost importance to me, and when the record company masters the CDs, they are making them from the source master tapes, so the quality is much higher. And they will be mastered with an EQ and dynamic range that is appropriate for digital playback, rather than compressed and EQ'd to fit within the more limited dynamic range of a record player.

Of course, that doesn't count for the records in your collection that don't exist on CD (if any). But that's a whole different can of worms...

#224292 - 31/03/2004 02:37 Re: Rio Centrals For Sale [Re: downtownbrown]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
The HP de100c and de200c jukeboxes can do this.

Matt