Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224753 - 30/03/2004 21:33 Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
As many of you know, the Rio Central software update that is posted on the DNNA website is corrupted (the 543MB .zip file with the CDDB database). After many weeks of writing to tech support, the webmaster, and as many other folks I can think of, I think the fix will be happening shortly. I've been in contact with a ReplayTV employee who has been very helpful in the past, and today I heard back from him....He's working on getting the file replaced!!!!! Great news for us Central fans...

Every time I wrote in previously, I would get a reply back about how to unzip a file, or a link to where the file is located, or a generic message telling how to download a file, etc.

So I wanted to let everyone know that I think I've finally hit paydirt, and hopefully the file should be updated shortly...

Randy

#224754 - 31/03/2004 02:35 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: The Central Guy]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Cool maybe I can get that one to work I haven't had any luck with the current non database one.

Matt

#224755 - 31/03/2004 12:37 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I haven't had any luck with the current non database one.

Did you see the other thread where I described the difference between "burning an ISO image" and "burning a CD with the ISO image file on it"?

#224756 - 01/04/2004 00:29 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Yes I am burning the .iso an image and not just copying the .iso to a cd. When I stick the disk in the central it sees it as an upgrade disk but then gets an error when trying to apply the upgrade.

What burning software did you use to burn the iso ? I am using nero.

Matt

#224757 - 01/04/2004 10:32 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What burning software did you use to burn the iso ? I am using nero.

I don't recall which software I used when I last upgraded the Central. It might have been Nero version 5, or it might have been Ez CD Creator. It's been a while. I don't think that should make a difference, though.

Have you also checked to make sure that the file you downloaded is correct and not corrupted? For example, did you use a utility such as GetRight to grab the file?

#224758 - 01/04/2004 18:16 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

No but I downloaded it several times. I will try it with get right and see what happens.

Matt

#224759 - 01/04/2004 23:49 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I downloaded the non database file using get right and I get the same error.

Matt

#224760 - 02/04/2004 11:03 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wow. Okay... I'd say try a different burner software or something. That's just really odd.

#224761 - 02/04/2004 12:57 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: tfabris]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in on this one. I was able to download the non-CDDB software ISO image, burn it to a CD, and upgrade my Central with no problem.

Then I gave the CD to my dad, since I talked him into buying a used one , and he got an error message when trying to load the CD and going through the upgrade steps. I forget what the error message was, but it was a fatal error of some sort.

I went over to visit, and thought I'd give it another try. What I discovered when I spoke to Dad is that he had some music playing via a playlist on the Central when he tried the update. That sounded like a potential conflict to me, so I paused the Central, and got the unit into a "Standby" state....

When I put the CD in the drive, the correct options came up and the upgrade was successful. I verified it by looking at the "About" menu to see what version of software was running....

So maybe it's worth a try to stop whatever processes are running at the time when attempting the upgrade.....

I hope that helps, Randy

#224762 - 02/04/2004 14:01 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: The Central Guy]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

What do you mean by "standby" ? I paused it and tried the upgrade and I still get the error.

Matt

#224763 - 05/04/2004 01:41 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: msaeger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I paused it and tried the upgrade and I still get the error.

Hard powercycle it with the upgrade CD in the drive. The boot code should start the upgrade before starting the player, so you don't need to worry about conflicts.

#224764 - 05/04/2004 07:12 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Coming [Re: Roger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

When I do that it just starts up the player and doesn't try to upgrade. Is there some way to force it to try the upgrade first ?

Matt

#224765 - 05/04/2004 07:54 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Co [Re: msaeger]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
In reply to:

Is there some way to force it to try the upgrade first ?

Yeah, there's a button you have to hold down. Probably "Menu".

Peter

#224766 - 05/04/2004 08:32 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Co [Re: peter]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

When I power on while holding down menu it does go straight to the upgrade screen but I still get the error that my disk is bad.

Matt

#224767 - 07/04/2004 19:38 Re: Rio Central Software Update News - File Fix Co [Re: msaeger]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Interesting news...I re-downloaded the "corrupted" file from the Rio website again, even though the date is still the same and there is no indication that it is fixed.

The Good News is that the file has been replaced. I can now unzip the file, even though I do get a PKUNZIP error at the very end. I knew something was different because the file size after unzipping was larger than the .zip file, whereas before it had stalled out at 200 and some MB. I have several hard drives with music and OS installed for the Central, so even though I've upgrade some of them with the non-CDDB version that was already available, I did have a couple of hard drives that were "Virgin" and had never been upgraded. So I burned the new ISO image to a CD and was able to successfully install the update to one of my two Central units.

The Bad News: After all this waiting to get this corrupted file fixed and burning it to a CD to look at the files, the CDDB files are exactly the same as the original release (from November 2001). Bummer. I have an email in to Gracenote to see if somehow they can supply updated CDDB files, but they haven't answered in weeks.

Second, I discovered a bit of an issue with the software upgrade (both this new CDDB version and also the older non-CDDB version). As I mentioned above, the upgrade went fine on one of my two units. But I couldn't get either upgrade to work on my other unit. I just received a "status" error message and the upgrade wouldn't proceed (all four positions of the rocker switch gave me the "finish" option to quit the upgrade). I tried everything I could think of, different ways to install (from the menu, rebooting, etc.) with the same results.

Not sure why that is, but at least the file on the website was upgraded....

Anyone else try this software and had any luck? Thanks,

Randy