Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224848 - 21/05/2004 21:21 tRio applet takes 15 minutes to load, firewall/port help?
Vito
new poster

Argh. I'm running tRio 0.1.4.alpha5 and JReceiver 0.2.5 on a Linux server, feeding four Receivers. It's all set up and works properly to play music using the receivers themselves.

The web-based applet, however, literally takes 15 minutes between tasks. From the time I load the page in my browser (both Firefix 0.8 and IE 6 on Windows XP SP1 with Java Plugin 1.4.2_04) to the time the applet actually displays my four Rios and lets me click on something, is fifteen minutes.

When I click on the "Player" tab, it takes fifteen minutes for that window to come up. I can't seem to get songs to get added into the queue no matter what I do. Clicking on "Stop" makes the applet take another fifteen minutes.

No other Java applet does this. These are not slow computers by any stretch of the imagination. Everything else appears to be working fine.

Shutting off my desktop PC's firewall "fixes" the problem. It would appear that the applet or server picks some random RMI port to do its communications on, and that 15 minutes is about the time it takes to cycle through every closed port on my desktop machine to find the one or two open ones.

Can I force it to discuss things on a specific port? Adding a port parameter to the rmi create-registry setting in trio.xml doesn't do anything, nor does opening the ports listed in the ports setting.

#224849 - 25/05/2004 08:23 Re: tRio applet takes 15 minutes to load, firewall [Re: Vito]
dbrower
Quiet One

Is the linux box being used as a firewall router, with multiple addresses, one on the public side, one on the private? The current
trio seems not to work well in the UI for that environment. I haven't looked into the details, because I've been tracking some other things first.

The "solution" I've been contemplating for this is to run the Trio in a "user mode linux" partition with only a private addrees. This is mainly because I wanted to play with UML.

-dB

#224850 - 25/05/2004 13:51 Re: tRio applet takes 15 minutes to load, firewall [Re: dbrower]
Vito
new poster

No, the Linux server is totally open. The problem is on my arbitrary Windows desktop machines, all of which run firewall software on them.

I believe what is happening is, after the tRio applet starts up, the tRio server sends additional data on another, arbitrary port, which of course the tRio applet can't receive, because of the firewall. So the server slowly cycles through all the ports on the machine until it finds an open one, about fifteen minutes later.

I've tried going through the source of the tRio software to see if there was a way to hardcode the port, but my Java is fairly rusty, and I know nothing about RMI.