Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#225019 - 28/06/2004 14:11 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Yes, I had already figured that out, even by the time I made that post. But that's one more mouseclick that wasn't necessary before, and I'm lazy.

That little icon should also be appearing next to the subject on the index of posts. I'll check for a hack later to change the next and previous buttons to use that link by default. Wanted that on the old boards, looks easier to possibly do here. I'm just trying to minimize hacks directly to the code.

#225020 - 28/06/2004 14:12 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: JBjorgen]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I second or third that about the horrible white backgrounds. Way too flashy.

#225021 - 28/06/2004 14:13 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Every effort to fix this is much appreciated, thanks!

#225022 - 28/06/2004 14:15 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: Shonky]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Not sure about the old BBS software, but I'm pretty sure it used to hide/obfuscate email addresses when viewing a users profile. Can you turn that on please?

The old board and new board do noy show the e-mail address used for administrative purposes anywhere viewable to non admins. Whatever you have in the e-mail (publicially displayed) field shows up in your profile. Thats per the identical privacy policy between the two boards.

#225023 - 28/06/2004 14:16 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
It's not actually an extra mouse click, though, and this may help Roger as well.

See, Roger has the problem that IE sometimes doesn't puick up the automatic jump to the first new post. In those cases instead of the annoyance he's experiencing with the End>PageUp>PageUp stuff, he could just click on the link at the top of each thread to jump to the first new post. Since he has to do it manually by the keyboard anyway, he might as well just use that link.

As for the other part, you have a choice now, which I like. Go to a forum and look at the threads with new posts. Now there is an icon just to the left of the thread titles. It is a seperate link that will automatically take you to the first new post. This just means that you have to focus your mouse clicks a little more, and it takes getting used to, but I like this better. It gives you a choice. Sometimes I want to see the information in the first post of a thread.

Again, this is how it works in phpBB. I wonder if they got it from them

Edited by DiGNAN17 (28/06/2004 14:17)

#225024 - 28/06/2004 14:21 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I don't like the way the main screen doesn't show anymore how many new topics and replies have been made since my last visit.

Odd, thats working for myself, and people in IRC. Not sure whats going on there to hide it, I'm waiting on a better looking empeg.css to try. I thought it might be a stylesheet glitch, but others can see the numbers on the empeg style.

#225025 - 28/06/2004 14:23 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Go to a forum and look at the threads with new posts. Now there is an icon just to the left of the thread titles. It is a seperate link that will automatically take you to the first new post.

Ah! I hadn't noticed that! I'll give that a try, thanks! The way you describe it, it sounds like it works just as good as the old board.

#225026 - 28/06/2004 14:25 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I'm sure that this will annoy Bitt as much as it's already annoying me;

"Reged" is not a word. It is not even a common abbreviation for the word "Registered".

I could live with "Reg'd:", "Reg'ed:", or even "Reg.:", but not "Reged:"

Thanks!

#225027 - 28/06/2004 14:26 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Odd, thats working for myself, and people in IRC. Not sure whats going on there to hide it, I'm waiting on a better looking empeg.css to try. I thought it might be a stylesheet glitch, but others can see the numbers on the empeg style.

It works now for me too. So you're saying that you didn't fix it? Odd. I haven't been online for a few hours so I thought that you had.
Anyway, it's working fine now, so I'm happy!

#225028 - 28/06/2004 14:29 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quick Links needs fixing - "Rio Receiver/Rio Central BBS" needs removing.

Is it me or have "My Home" and "Main Index" switched positions? I use the "Main Index" link a lot and preferred it as the first link.

#225029 - 28/06/2004 14:34 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

1. The following columns are CENTER justified instead of LEFT:
Please make them left justified. Way easier to read.

I'll consider this. should be a simple change in the template files. (new concept in 6.x)

2. New items in the forum index have their table cell background set to a really ugly color: It's a sort of grey-yellow (every new post in the thread and has its header this color). It would be nice to not change the color of the table cells and use only the typical icons to mark what's new or not.

Color issues due to not getting the empeg and empeg2.css stylesheets fixed. Expecting that fixed in the next hour (to a better color). Getting it to work like the old biard will probably be a tad too much work.

3. Don't like the Quick Reply box being open by default. Some forum software keeps it hidden until a quick-reply link is clicked on.

Probably a setting somewhere. Quick Reply used to be a hack added to the boards (6.x), now it's integrated in 6.5. If that setting isn't somewhere, I'll request it. That should help Roger a bit as well.

4. "Extra Information" table at the bottom really big. I'd like the option to turn it off or just have it made smaller in the HTML template. Don't need board permissions nor the names of the moderators every time I open a thread.

Going to see what I can slim down in the templates. The extra info like moderator info is definitly not needed here. Ratings is already on my kill list, and going to (again) request an easier way to kill them like the single checkbox to kill user ratings.

5. Extended stats under each person's name for each post is a little repetitious and too much like so many other boards. I liked the fact the old board wasn't set up to display this info all the time (# posts and join date) - I suppose I can learn to like the location entry.

Probably a template change as well. I'm used to a flood of info from being logged in as an admin. What is everyone elses feelings on this? Hide or show the new stuff over there?

6. As has been mentioned before, can't stand the "jumpt to new post" icon and would strongly prefer
allowing clicking on the title of the thread to jump to the first new post as the BBS supported before.

I'm liking the choice granted by the new icon. Try aiming for it on the index page and see how that works for a bit. I'd like to do a wait and see on this instead of immediately trying to revert it to 5.5 behavior.

7. Moderator and Admin poster colors aren't working. I suppose some other special color groups may also be affected.

This got moved into the stylesheets and the empeg2.css lacks this. Again, will be fixed soon. Going to kill those damn A and M flags soon too. Not sure how to deal with the other special colors, will poke at it a bit more later.

Tom, I can imagine the nightmare going from one version to a new version and jumping domain names at the same time. Doing well so far, good luck with the final small details.

You forgot the merge process too, the bane of my existance yesterday when every thing that could go wrong practicially did, including a storm somehow knocking out a network that should never be down.

Good feedback thus far.

#225030 - 28/06/2004 14:38 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Also, get rid of the "HOT!" icon. I don't need the BBS to tell me twice that there are a lot of posts in a thread. It also draws too much attention to the BBS during my work-time goof-off sessions.

Will be killed here soon if I can easially, or at least set to a higher number. Drives me nuts as well actually.

#225031 - 28/06/2004 14:39 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: tonyc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:

FYI, for those with broken color in their sigs, the fix is to change
[red]foo[/red]
to
[color:red]foo[/color]

The old [red] and such should still work. Problem is that I didn't get that code into the BBS when it did some signature migration, so the tags skipped being converted once. In the database, the software always stores things like that at HTML to avoid doing UBB conversions on every read.

#225032 - 28/06/2004 14:41 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
OK, all the polls have ended and cannot be accessed, Can they be restarted? Also I agree that My Home and Main Index needs to be reversed. I like the new board but it is going to take a while to get used to...

Sean in NC

#225033 - 28/06/2004 14:43 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: genixia]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Is it me or have "My Home" and "Main Index" switched positions?

Yes, they did. I use the "Main Index" link a lot too and while reading the board I click on it blindly. I already ended up a few times in "My Home" by mistake. So I'd also like to have these two switched again if possible. Thanks!

#225034 - 28/06/2004 14:47 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Let me just start by saying... God, I hate how cluttered the screen is on the new software. Tom, please do anything and everything in your power to simplify the screen layout. Anything that removes unnecessary crud on the screen is a good thing.

To that end, I just turned off the Quick Reply box by default. Because I could. And because others complained about it. I agree with the sentiment of keeping the discussions properly threaded even if everyone uses flat mode. I'm not sure if this is a global BBS feature, or if it's something that is supposed to be controllable per-user. I don't see a per-user option to control this anywhere in my options.

- OMFG, now I remember why I resisted switching to this software. Is there any way we can hack out all the rating crap? Again, useless clutter.

- I second the sentiment to hack out the "hot" thingy. Clutter.

- Top of screen still links to the old Rio Receiver BBS. That used to be something I had the power to change myself, but now I don't see it in the admin control panel any more.

- The Title bar text (the HTML page title of every page) is now all the same instead of different for forums and posts. In the past it used to say "Viewing a list of forums" or "Viewing a list of posts" or "<Post Title>". This was very useful because those of us who loved Tabbed Browsers could see, in the tab titles, whether you'd opened a tab for a list of posts, or opened a specific post. That meant that in a tabbed browser you could get the main screen and shift-click all the forums with new posts, go to one of the "viewing a list of posts" tabs, then shift-click all the posts on that tab, find the nest "Viewing a list of posts" tab, shift click all its posts, etc. Now all says "Unofficia..." for every single tab, regardless of whether it's a list or a post. So I can't see what is a thread and what is a post. So tabbed browsing is utterly fucking useless on this software now. How do we hack this back to the way it was before? Puh-leeeze?

- In the main forum list and in the lists of posts, it used to say (12 new) in a different color. Now it's an almost-invisible (12) that is much much harder to see. This is very important to me. All joking about robots aside, one of the reasons that I can keep up with the BBS during the day is because I wrote a VB program to blink a systray icon when a new post appeared on the BBS. This allowed me to quickly scan for new posts on the board, quickly reply if necessary, and then go back to work. The VB program did this by looking for the text " new)" and checking to see if that was preceded by a number. If so, blink the icon. Now that it doesn't say " new)" any more, my parser program can't work. If you've got an idea as to what else it could parse for, I could see about making that edit instead of asking you to figure out how to hack " new)" back into the BBS.

- Something else I do is that I clear my cache and cookies regularly. To keep me from having to manually log in to the BBS after a clear-out, I use a pre-formatted URL that includes the user name and password parameters already in there. For instance, for the old BBS, it was this:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/start_page.ph...mp;option=Login
Can I still do this? Any hints on what the format of the URL should be?

- DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO at the top of my lungs to the complaints about it not scrolling down to the new posts any more. AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! AAaaaAAA AaAA AGGGHHHHH!!!! OMFG THAT SUCKS SO BAD! Ahem. Ah. Okay, that's off my chest now.

- Related to the above, but much more egregious: If you click on a thread title that is multiple pages, and the newest post is on page 2 or later, it goes to page 1 instead of to the page containing the first new thread. That's not just irritating, it's downright broken, and lame to boot.

- I was reading a post about pronto CCF codes, and at the top of the screen above the post it said that the forum hierarchy for the post was: General -> Technical/Troubleshooting. But there is no forum with that hierarchy. Each product group has a technical forum, but not "General". So something is bugged about the part of the BBS that displays the thread hierarchy. I use this feature often. For example, in the case of reading a post about CCF codes, perhaps the user didn't specify which product he was asking for CCF codes for (he did this time, but let's say hypothetically that he didn't). So I might choose to look up at the top of the screen and see if he's in Empeg, Rio Receiver, or Rio Central.

- Hm. Previewing this post, there is a dotted line above my signature. I didn't type a dotted line. My signature is designed to look set-off from the post already, I don't need a poor-looking dotted line to set it off like that. I like mine better. Can that be hacked out too?

#225035 - 28/06/2004 14:52 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

What he said!

#225036 - 28/06/2004 14:56 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: genixia]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Another thing... Can we ger rid of the Reged and make it say something else... Reged brings back bad memories etc... long story...

Sean in NC

#225037 - 28/06/2004 15:03 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: Micman2b]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Thanks for all the work on this Drakino. Don't kill yourself making all the tiny improvements at once... they can be done over time.

#225038 - 28/06/2004 15:03 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Darn, Tom turned the quick reply box back on. I say we decide this one with a cage match.

#225039 - 28/06/2004 15:14 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Trying to use a pre-built URL to log into the BBS like I did for the old one. I'm trying this:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/start_page.php?Cat=0&from=&Loginname=tfabris&Loginpass=mypassword&rememberme=1&firstlogin=1&buttlogin=Login

And I'm getting "all the required fields are not filled in". Any ideas how to make this work?

#225040 - 28/06/2004 15:21 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:

- DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO at the top of my lungs to the complaints about it not scrolling down to the new posts any more. AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! AAaaaAAA AaAA AGGGHHHHH!!!! OMFG THAT SUCKS SO BAD! Ahem. Ah. Okay, that's off my chest now.

Did you read my post above? It isn't broken, it's changed. Whether or not you like the change is another story. I like having the choice.

Quote:

- Related to the above, but much more egregious: If you click on a thread title that is multiple pages, and the newest post is on page 2 or later, it goes to page 1 instead of to the page containing the first new thread. That's not just irritating, it's downright broken, and lame to boot.

I guess it's me then. That never, ever worked on the old board either. Whether you clicked on the thread title or the last page of the thread or "show all", it seemed there was no way at all to jump to the newest post.

And now that you mention it, I tried clicking on that icon for multiple-page threads, and it works for me! I don't know what you're doing, but it does work. It didn't work on the old board.

#225041 - 28/06/2004 15:24 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Tom, so far there have been some people requesting that there be no change in cell background for new threads and posts. It's very distracting. I request that we go back to the old icons for new post notification. At the very least, those white folders are distracting with the classic color scheme.

#225042 - 28/06/2004 15:25 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/start_page.php?Cat=0&from=&Loginname=tfabris&Loginpass=mypassword&rememberme=1&firstlogin=1&buttlogin=Login

Another issue: this long URL (from Tony's post) is causing the whole on-screen table to be wider than my window. Is there some feature in the software to break up these long lines, or maybe allow one post to be wider than the screen without dragging all the other posts with it?

Also, what's the "preferred" way of quoting somebody without getting this ugly "Quote" box? I used to hand-code orange and italics, but I see others here get nice compact boxes with all the colors and such just so. What's the magic incantation?

#225043 - 28/06/2004 15:26 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: DWallach]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Another issue: I like to view the whole thread in flat mode. When I used to hit reply, it would go back to the full-thread view. Now, it goes back to just the last page. Grumble.

#225044 - 28/06/2004 15:28 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

It's [ q ] [ / q ]

This was the equivalent of combining a quote with orange color, but I believe that has changed. I like how compact it is!
And I also like how there aren't unecessary new lines added to the end of a quote. There used to be at least two.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (28/06/2004 15:31)

#225045 - 28/06/2004 15:29 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: DWallach]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Also, what's the "preferred" way of quoting somebody without getting this ugly "Quote" box?

I used to hand-code orange and italics, but I see others here get nice compact boxes with all the colors and such just so. What's the magic incantation?

One uses [quote] and the other uses [q]

#225046 - 28/06/2004 15:31 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: genixia]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Also, what's the "preferred" way of quoting somebody without getting this ugly "Quote" box?

I used to hand-code orange and italics, but I see others here get nice compact boxes with all the colors and such just so. What's the magic incantation?

One uses [quote] and the other uses [q]

Ahh, makes sense. Maybe this should be on the "Instant UBB Code" thing.

#225047 - 28/06/2004 16:20 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: drakino]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Can we turn off, or at least make user-settable, the thing whereby all off-board links open in new windows? Not all browsers have options for disabling this, and sometimes I forget to right-click links.

Peter

#225048 - 28/06/2004 16:34 Re: New board bug reports/feedback [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay, I see now that the table rows that contain new posts are a different color. That's not bad. I can probably get used to seeing that as meaning new posts.

However, I don't like the white/yellow new posts color indicators. A yellow light doesn't seem more or less on than a white light to me. Maybe if it was dark/white or dark/yellow. The same color scheme is used somewhere with folder icons, too. Any way to "fix" that?

Ooh. Wait. &ldquo;fix&rdquo; Did those quotes work? Nuts.

Edited by wfaulk (28/06/2004 16:34)

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >