Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#229177 - 01/08/2004 09:33 Importing lrc file directly into mp3??
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
Is there a way or could there be a way to import a lrc file directly into an mp3 using Emplode or jemplode.
Currently it requires having the file in the mp3 before transferring to player,correct?
I'm thinking something like this: highlight song in emplode,right click and select "import lrc file from" and then browse to where you have it.

#229178 - 01/08/2004 15:03 Re: Importing lrc file directly into mp3?? [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's possible to do in theory, but I don't know if you'll see it in practice soon. Currently the code that gets this job done so well (in Patrick Giasson's SYLT plugin) is all written in VB. It was thousands of hours of work on his part, and it would all need to be ported to Java before it could show up in Jemplode, so nearly that much work would still be required.

(Seeing the functionality you described in Emplode will never happen, Jemplode is do-able but highly unlikely because of the amount of work Mike would need to do.)

But...

Last night I was thinking along the same lines...

The only thing you're asking to save is the steps of downloading the song to the PC's hard disk, and uploading the song back to the player when you're done tagging it.

What if Patrick's plugin did that for you? What if it used the Hijack web interface features and FTP/HTTP to open the file to a temporary directory, do its magic, and then save it back directly to the same FID on the player's hard disk?

It would work like this... You locate and select the desired song to edit from a minibrowser within the SYLT plugin. You browse the Hijack playlist pages. Because the FID is part of the URL to that song, then the SYLT plugin can retrieve it, do the edits, then FTP the FID right back into place.

There would be a few "Gotchas"...

- the plugin would have to be able to handle a two-disk-drive player, in other words, it would have to search both disk drives for the FID before it uploads it.

- the plugin would have to search for the FID in both the new-style and the old-style directory structures.

- the plugin would have to deliberately invalidate the RID tag on the corresponding *1 file for that fid, and then send the appropriate command to the player to rebuild the database. Or heck, a few pointers from Mike and he could recalculate the RID himself.

All of the above are pretty do-able I think.

Or course, since there's no Hijack for the Rio Central or the Karma, this wouldn't be available on either of those platforms. But there's no emphatic for either of those platforms either, so it's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, whaddya think of that idea, Patrick?

#229179 - 01/08/2004 15:35 Re: Importing lrc file directly into mp3?? [Re: tfabris]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
Quote:
The only thing you're asking to save is the steps of downloading the song to the PC's hard disk, and uploading the song back to the player when you're done tagging it.

Exactly.

#229180 - 01/08/2004 15:36 Re: Importing lrc file directly into mp3?? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
If you really wanted to do it this way, I think for any reasonable speed, you'd want the actual tagging to happen on the empeg side, without the FTPing to and fro. Which would mean "some program" running on the empeg would open a socket and listen for requests coming from, say, the SYLT plugin, and tag the files accordingly.

The thing I just don't like about this approach is that it only edits the file on the empeg, not the local copies that we all keep for when our empeg disks die. So you do all this work to write something to add lyrics to your MP3s, then they're gone the next time you need to re-sync. I don't know how to work around this problem, because to my knowledge neither emplode nor jEmplode has a concept of keeping a local directory structure in sync with the player (so it could update both the local and empeg copies of the file.)

Edited by tonyc (01/08/2004 15:37)

#229181 - 01/08/2004 15:45 Re: Importing lrc file directly into mp3?? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
not the local copies that we all keep for when our empeg disks die.

... That we all SHOULD keep.

I do, of course. I currently keep three copies of everything: Empeg, PC hard disk, and Rio Central. So neither the method I described, nor the method you described, would be a huge help for me because I'd still need to manually maintain two of my systems. But it would save me one or two small steps in the process.

#229182 - 02/08/2004 00:52 Re: Importing lrc file directly into mp3?? [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
This is the one and only reason that I haven't tried emphatic yet (not even the original one). o much work to update all my files and reupload them all. (also, updating the files would probably change their Windows modified date, which I like to keep because it shows me when I obtained the file, just for history's sake.)

But both of the methods mentioned seem really great ("to and fro" and "in place"). Why not just upgrade the empeg version of the songs and then backup a dump of the empeg hard disks? I forget if this is possible, but I thought I saw it mentioned before ("empeg clone tool"?). Ok, so that method still requires moving everything to and fro, but at least it leaves my local copies alone.

> and then save it back directly to the same FID

And if it goes back to the same FID, will it retain the playcount for that song? And retain any other information about the song (... what other per-song info is there anyway)? Again, just for obsessive history, but I'd hate to see that gone.

And Tony, I haven't read the "5000'th post" thread yet, but I can not wait to try emphatic 2.0!!!!!