Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22969 - 23/11/2000 23:03 2nd power adapter.. radio shack?
silvercas

beside empeg.com, is there another place I can get a power adapter from?! Radio Shack?! Part #?

Alan

#22970 - 24/11/2000 00:06 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: silvercas]
Rod
journeyman

Loc: Australia
Have a look at this entry in the FAQ.

Rod

#22971 - 24/11/2000 03:41 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: silvercas]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
beside empeg.com, is there another place I can get a power adapter from?!

The allelectronics ones are reported to work.

Borislav

#22972 - 24/11/2000 06:49 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: silvercas]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i have found that alot of power supplys work. i carry a dell laptop power supply around with me and leave the empeg one at home. it works pretty well for me. if you plug in the empeg and it dosen't start up, just try another one. it probably dosen't supply enough power to boot the empeg up.

12 gig, green...

#22973 - 24/11/2000 08:40 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: jstrain]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> if you plug in the empeg and it dosen't start up, just try another one

You might like to check that it's a DC adapter with the correct polarity and voltage first, otherwise it may be quite some time before your empeg starts up again.

Rob

#22974 - 25/11/2000 01:04 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: borislav]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The allelectronics ones are reported to work.

I can personally testify that they work quite well, and at $6.50 apiece, they are a real bargain. I keep one on my desk at work, along with a pair of headphones so I can listen to my empeg all day. I keep one plugged in by my computer at home so I can add music and update software. And I keep one in the carry bag I use to haul my empeg around in when it isn't in the car, along with another set of headphones just in case someone wants a demonstration and I don't have my car handy.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#22975 - 25/11/2000 05:54 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Paul
stranger

Headphones how are you running those off the empeg as the manual sayes that is a No No.

Cause if it is easy the empeg would make a stupidly large but very cool portable when combined with a battery pack

#22976 - 25/11/2000 18:49 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: Paul]
bboyd
new poster

how are you running those off the empeg

couldnt you just get a RCA to headphone converter? gotta love radio shack :)

bboyd
MKI #301
bboyd MKI #301

#22977 - 26/11/2000 02:40 Re: 2nd power adapter.. radio shack? [Re: Paul]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Headphones how are you running those off the empeg as the manual sayes that is a No No.

While the manual does say "...the line outputs cannot drive any load directly - do NOT connect them to speakers or headphones." empeg is being conservative here. They are correct in that you could not drive speakers or even large headphones with the line outs, but the small walkman style headphones (the type that fit inside your ears) are such low impedence that they work quite well. Note that there is considerable difference between "good" headphones and "cheap" headphones. The ones I use are made by Optimus and are a full 10-15dB louder than a pair of "cheap" Sony headphones I tried.

Cause if it is easy the empeg would make a stupidly large but very cool portable when combined with a battery pack

Well... maybe. I think the battery pack might be problematical. You're gonna need something carrying about 3 amp-hours (36 watt hours) at 12 volts to get eight hours of playing time. That's about what the battery that runs my bicycle light system is, and that battery (a lead-acid gel-cel) weighs about the same as the empeg, is 10x5x7 centimeters. Other rechargeable battery systems would be lighter/smaller for the same weight (nickel metal hydride, maybe?) but hugely more expensive (perhaps $100 vs $15 for my gel cell.)

Anyway, the empeg will drive a set of good quality walkman-style headphones quite nicely through the line outs. I listen to mine 8--10 hours a day every day that way.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"