Ok, I'd like to go ahead and work towards getting japanaese onto the empeg myself, if possible. Before I can start, though, I have a few questions I need answered.

1) If I'm not mistaken, the character set on the Nitrus (et. al) is JIS X 208? If so, this is the character set I'd like to use.
2) I know the fonts on 2.01 are bitmap style. Can they be extended? If so, is there anything special I need to keep in mind?
3) How does the player app address fonts? In other words, how would I need to lay out the glyphs?
4) Will I need to worry about hitting a memory limit with the font? I don't see it going over 3MB total.
5) Regarding V3.0, I know the fonts are different. Is there an editor available? Is it possible to extend the font, beyond what has already been done (the european character set)?

Please understand I don't care if this can be used with normal display modes. If I can get this to go anywhere, I would hopefully be using emphatic for info display.

I also understand the limits imposed by japanese characters on small fonts. I would be using one of the MANY freeware kanji fonts available, at one of the larger sizes (12-14pt).

A few other possible issues:

1) Can either Emplode or JEmplode handle extended character sets? This is all pointless if I can't transfer music to my player.
2) Can the empeg itself handle extended character sets? Or will it just gag on these files?

Any information anyone could offer would be much appreciated.