Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233662 - 16/09/2004 20:01 Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
First off, I'd like to apologize to anyone who has been waiting for Palantir on PocketPC devices, I did not want to lead anyone on into thinking that this was going to be a reality (from me) anytime soon. After writing the Palm version I thought that I would like to try PocketPC programming, and this would be a good starting point for me. I'm sorry to say that this is not the case, and I am now abandoning writing Palantir on PocketPC devices.

I don't have the time to learn the skills needed to re-write Palantir for the PocketPC. If I did take the time, I do not know where else I would use those skills. This does not encourage me to press forward.

The hardware I have available is an old PocketPC that is not compatible with modern PocketPC programming, and would require that most of Palantir be written using MFC or the Win32 APIs - hard to make totally compatible with the current crop of PPC 2002 and 2003 devices. Ezekiel donated this hardware to me to work on the port, I will either ship it back to him, or to anyone else who would like to work on it instead.

I did do a small portion of Palantir for the WinCE device: writing the OBEX send function to send a FID to Empire over the IrDA port. This is actually a good starting point, since I could not find any OBEX functions in the WIn32 api set (maybe there are some in .NET). This code is attached to this post (it's probably messy, but works).

If desired, someone with PocketPC 2002-2003 .NET programming experience could easily port Palantir to the PPC platform. This person could even write a few functions to utilize the same .pdb file format that the Palm version uses, or I will help write a jEmplode plugin to export the data to a format of their choice. Empire is ready for other devices to send FID's over IrDA, so all the programming on the Empeg side is finished.

Besides, it would be cool to have a PocketPC version

Attachments
232858-palantirce_obex.cpp (322 downloads)

#233663 - 16/09/2004 21:17 Re: Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted [Re: cushman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
That's okay, we still appreciate what you've done!

#233664 - 17/09/2004 00:21 Re: Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted [Re: cushman]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
No worries about the fate of the PPC, wherever it does the most good will be fine with me (including the rubbish bin if that's where it belongs).

Much thanks to you for such lovely programs!

-Zeke

#233665 - 17/09/2004 00:54 Re: Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted [Re: cushman]
oliver
addict

After Oct 12th I should be able to take a stab at this. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle in .net

#233666 - 17/09/2004 00:57 Re: Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted [Re: Ezekiel]
cushman
veteran

Thanks, Ezekiel. It's a perfectly workable device, it's just that the software and processor in it are kinda old. If anyone would like it, let me know please.

Oliver: That's great. If you would like to talk about the db format or the IrDA beaming stuff, feel free to e-mail or IM me.

#233667 - 17/09/2004 06:50 Re: Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted [Re: cushman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
...since I could not find any OBEX functions in the WIn32 api set (maybe there are some in .NET).

Just FYI: Windows CE.NET does have OBEX functionality, according to MSDN.

#233668 - 17/09/2004 11:18 Re: Palantir CE Port - PocketPC Programmer Wanted [Re: Roger]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
Quote:
...since I could not find any OBEX functions in the WIn32 api set (maybe there are some in .NET).

Just FYI: Windows CE.NET does have OBEX functionality, according to MSDN.

Awesome. This makes writing the app that much easier.