Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#235384 - 10/10/2004 14:46 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: pgrzelak]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Huh?

Check fusto's profile . He has transmogrified...or he has become anti-coastal. I am not sure which.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#235385 - 10/10/2004 16:30 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I understand the point of displaying a ratio of "happy" vs. "unhappy" customers, it shows scale. But knowing that a bunch of other people weren't ripped off doesn't console the people that are out of money. More importantly, the poll has no way of gaging WHEN the events occurred. Perhaps 100% of the people that placed orders after day X were ripped off.

To be honest, I was upset when I thought that the damages totaled in the hundreds of dollars range. But I think we've found out that the damages have at least tipped into the $1,000+ range. I think it's safe to assume that since this all started to happen a long time ago, many people may have stopped frequenting the BBS, so the number may be even higher.

Another issue to consider, does "% of people screwed" somehow relate to "was anyone screwed"? I don't see the relation. Just because "some" or even "most" people were served well, does that make the "very few" that were harmed by his actions/inactions meaningless?

And isn't possession worth something? Just because I didn't actively steal something, I am still responsible if I find myself in possession of goods or funds that do not belong to me. Sure, I may have not intended to take something that wasn't mine, but that does not make it right for me to keep it.

Many of you know of the recent trouble I had in acquiring an empeg that I purchased from a BBS member. Never during that whole ordeal did I suspect that person of posting a fake sale in order to collect my money and run. I always though that he was simply inconsiderate and didn't really see the big deal in keeping a "just a few hundred bucks" of mine. But that didn't stop many of you from encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities. Yet, for some reason Steve seams to get a free ride, even though we're talking about a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I guess the sad part of all of this is that considering what an understanding group we all are, a few simple emails from Steve would have put a lot of this to rest.

#235386 - 10/10/2004 16:59 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
I understand the point of displaying a ratio of "happy" vs. "unhappy" customers, it shows scale. But knowing that a bunch of other people weren't ripped off doesn't console the people that are out of money.

Nor is it meant to. Seriously, I was probably one hair's width away from being one of the people who was/is out $100 or more.

Quote:
More importantly, the poll has no way of gaging WHEN the events occurred. Perhaps 100% of the people that placed orders after day X were ripped off.

Absolutely true. This is why insta-polls deserve critical scrutiny.

Quote:
To be honest, I was upset when I thought that the damages totaled in the hundreds of dollars range. But I think we've found out that the damages have at least tipped into the $1,000+ range. I think it's safe to assume that since this all started to happen a long time ago, many people may have stopped frequenting the BBS, so the number may be even higher.

Absolutely true. If there is a reason I am glad I put the poll up, it is that the poll at least represents the "floor" of folks who are out $$$. I would not want anyone to think that the results correctly estimate the actual numbers of folks who are out some money (though I would still guess that the response bias leans toward folks who are trying to figure out where their money went. JMHO.)

Quote:
Another issue to consider, does "% of people screwed" somehow relate to "was anyone screwed"? I don't see the relation. Just because "some" or even "most" people were served well, does that make the "very few" that were harmed by his actions/inactions meaningless?

Not in any way. My only point was whether "Darkstorm Lenses (TM)" was, from the outset, a scam/fraud. I don't think that is the case. Also, I consider the possibility that Steve was somehow struggling to make output equal input -- pay bills, meet obligations, et cetera -- and then encountered malignant circumstances that threw a wrench into all of that. But I have no basis for estimating the likelihood of that. (Edit:: it is also conceivable to me that at some point Darkstorm decided "Heck, here's my chance to make $1000 for nothing" but I also have no basis to estimate the likelihood of that.)

Quote:
And isn't possession worth something? Just because I didn't actively steal something, I am still responsible if I find myself in possession of goods or funds that do not belong to me. Sure, I may have not intended to take something that wasn't mine, but that does not make it right for me to keep it.

Agreed. Don't take my anti-fraud/bunco posts as some sort of a defense. I am trying to think of other terms. Dishonest? Lack of integrity/ I don't know.

Of course, if I get a bunch of preorders for my new Empeg-Radioshark interface and then find out that I have the "Big C". Well, fark it. I am *definitely* going to Mexico and taking all your money with me!

Quote:
Many of you know of the recent trouble I had in acquiring an empeg that I purchased from a BBS member. Never during that whole ordeal did I suspect that person of posting a fake sale in order to collect my money and run. I always though that he was simply inconsiderate and didn't really see the big deal in keeping a "just a few hundred bucks" of mine. But that didn't stop many of you from encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities. Yet, for some reason Steve seams to get a free ride, even though we're talking about a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I followed that thread with great interest and dismay. More dismay, perhaps, because, so far as I knew, the seller had no track record other than electrons on this BBS (but I would like to hope and believe that is no small thing). Darkstorm, for better or worse, delivered a bunch of lenses to people. He made my Empeg fit in with my odd green WRX dash.

At the time I followed that thread, I e-mailed a member of the BBS and asked (What the heck, I will say it now) "Drug Problem?" For all I know, Darkstorm took more than $1000 and spent it on crack. If he wants to say that he spent it on chemotherapy, he is welcome to e-mail me and I will convey that to the BBS. OTOH, if I got to the point that I had to Go To Mexico (TM), I can assure you that I would stop reading this BBS and stop caring what this BBS said about jimhogan.

Quote:
I guess the sad part of all of this is that considering what an understanding group we all are, a few simple emails from Steve would have put a lot of this to rest.

Strongly agreed.

Edited by jimhogan (10/10/2004 17:18)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#235387 - 10/10/2004 17:41 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Agreed.

You're breaking tradition here!

#235388 - 10/10/2004 21:06 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities.

I still wonder, wouldn't it be beneficial yet passive enough to contact the authorities in the area that Steve was last seen? It might reveal that he is dead after a stint in the hospital that started around the time people started loosing money. It might reveal he's in jail for drugs. Regardless, it should help answer the question.

Who's going to make the call? (not I, I'm busy making lots of other calls, and my $100 in orders were filled quickly and with no issue)

#235389 - 11/10/2004 03:19 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: jimhogan]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Quote:
Check fusto's profile . He has transmogrified...or he has become anti-coastal. I am not sure which.

Yeah, I did a bit of a flip flop longitudinally.
My latitude however is almost the same.
Before: 42.37 71.03
After: 48.45 122.37

Hey, these things happen.

#235390 - 11/10/2004 08:41 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: fusto]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
All I can't figure is why you didn't invest in a longer trailer to take the VW as well, so that you could both travel together in the truck cab?

#235391 - 11/10/2004 10:25 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: boxer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
All I can't figure is why you didn't invest in a longer trailer to take the VW as well, so that you could both travel together in the truck cab?

Maybe she gets on his nerves?

Andy M

#235392 - 11/10/2004 11:12 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Yes, travelling to Caernarfon with Mrs.Boxer is stretching it, and these Americans are talking big distances!
I've just invested in a TomtomGO so that we don't fall out over direction finding, if we get lost, we can round on the little colour screen instead of each other.

#235393 - 14/10/2004 03:10 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: boxer]
fusto
addict

Quote:

Mostly 'cause of the cat.
When loose in the car, he has a tendency to hide under the clutch pedal.
Not a good scene in a huge moving truck filled with all your worldly posessions. My significant other could much more ably keep him under control in the VW than I/we could have in the truck.

Short answer:
I hadnt thought of that...

#235394 - 14/10/2004 06:06 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: fusto]
boxer
pooh-bah

I'll get our cat basket to you by courier, this very day! The one we transport them in.

#235395 - 14/10/2004 14:17 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: boxer]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
In skimming this thread, my brain processed that as "cat casket" rather than "cat basket", made for a creepy chuckle.

#235396 - 14/10/2004 14:37 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: mschrag]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Even nastier chuckle, but not one for cat lovers...

Attachments
236775-catcarrier.jpg (189 downloads)

#235397 - 14/10/2004 23:22 Re: News on Darkstorm [Re: boxer]
fusto
addict

Quote:
I'll get our cat basket to you by courier, this very day! The one we transport them in.

Well, we have a cat carrier (not like the one Paul is advertising ) but we thought it would be inhumane to keep him locked in there for 10 to 15 hours a day for 7 days straight (Cape Cod, MA to Lummi Island, WA). Plus he had to come out occasionally to take care of business (i.e. litter box).
So we decided we would need to let him out once in awhile. During the trial runs he repeatedly sequestered himself under the pedals. Hence the seperate traveling accomodations. He got used to the car after awhile and spent the majority of the trip like this:

Attachments
236824-cat.jpg (151 downloads)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3