Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236396 - 04/10/2004 03:24 Hijack and FTP question
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
So I finished copying all of my MP3's from my Central over to my Empeg Mk2a, and set up some playlists, etc. Before moving along much further, I wanted to make an FTP backup copy to my PC since it took me about 6 weeks to copy all of my music from the Central in the first place. I ripped my CDs in the Central, so I didn't have the MP3 files available on my PC to copy over...

My Empeg has 2 80GB drives, and it takes about 20 hours or so to do an FTP copy of the FIDs on one drive to my PC.

My question: Would it work to open two FTP sessions and copy the FIDs from both drives at the same time to reduce the total copy time to 20 or so hours total, or do I have to do each drive separately (40 hours+ total)? Or would 2 sessions slow down the process so it's not worth it?

I haven't tried it because the first drive FTP is in progress and I don't want to spoil it if the player will choke, etc...

BTW, I'm getting a transfer speed of about 450-475 KB/S using WS_FTP for one session right now...

Thanks for some advice on this topic...

Randy

#236397 - 04/10/2004 04:54 Re: Hijack and FTP question [Re: The Central Guy]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
A quick experiment of seeing what you get running 2 in parallel for a bit would tell you, but my observation was running more than one at once didn't help.

If you're getting 20hr on 160gb, well, you won't do much better, I'd bet.