Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#236569 - 05/10/2004 10:25 Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Um, this is a poll to see if you would like your translucent buttons shipped in holiday gift wrap or in generic brown paper bag to "maintain discretion".

No, I’m kidding, of course. Could someone please post a photo of an MKII knob shaft with light kit installed? I don’t have one and am curious to see just where that long shaft goes since the kit is in the way.

When I put my prototype MKII knob on my MKIIa, the thin shaft walls essentially hit right up against the LEDs themselves (sending the light straight through the shaft to make a kind of cool ring on the face). But this can’t be right, and there can’t be a different knob kit for the MKII with wider set LEDs.

A photo would clear it up. Thanks!

#236570 - 05/10/2004 14:56 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I actually had to file down the shaft a bit on mine.

In Brian's original design, the LED board was meant to go down pretty far onto the Mk2 encoder, far enough to accomodate the shaft. Also, I seem to recall that when he was doing a 3-LED design, his LEDs were spaced out far enough from the center so that the lip of the shaft cleared them, giving it an extra few millimeters of travel.

But even with all of that, I still had to file down my shaft a bit to get it to work the way I wanted it to. The trick is, don't file it down so much that you can't get the rubber O ring to stay in there. That O ring is critical.

I don't have pictures because now I've swapped out the Mk2 encoder for a Mk2a encoder.

#236571 - 06/10/2004 00:17 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Thanks for the tip. Stu's LEDs are right up against the shaft, almost. Anyone with the hack have a pic?

And I never could (and barely tried to) figure out what the O ring did for the MKII knob. I can put my MKII knob on my dummy MKII shaft with no problem. It grips tight, spins ok, and is hard to pull off. I can't seem to find a place to put the O ring, or what function it would serve, other than getting in the way.

Reason I mention it is, should I be sourcing the O ring for the translucent buttons like Brian did. Or could people use their existing O ring. And are there really that many MKII users who want the translucent buttons? Do I feel another poll coming on? No, haha. I'll just make all six. Can't discriminate; someone might need them some day.

#236572 - 06/10/2004 00:21 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: FireFox31]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
<Beavis voice>Huh-huh... you said thin shaft!</Beavis>

#236573 - 06/10/2004 00:27 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I can put my MKII knob on my dummy MKII shaft with no problem. It grips tight, spins ok, and is hard to pull off. I can't seem to find a place to put the O ring, or what function it would serve, other than getting in the way.

That's what happens at first, yeah. But over time, the Mk2 knob loosens on the shaft and the ring is needed to keep it from slipping.

The o ring goes into the hole but doesn't go very deep. It only goes into the wider part of the sleeve, don't try to push it past the "fins". It should grip the shaft and also press outward against the sleeve, just below the fins.

#236574 - 06/10/2004 01:45 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
<Beavis voice>Huh-huh... you said thin shaft!</Beavis>

(Mouth + Coffee) + (Brad's Comment) = (Nose - Coffee) = (New Keyboard)

#236575 - 06/10/2004 20:49 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I figured, but since it didn't prevent the knob from pulling off, it didn't seem to make sense. Oh well.

<Bevis> He he... he hee.. he... shaft</Bevis>

#236576 - 06/10/2004 23:06 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: FireFox31]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Knob. hehe

#236577 - 07/10/2004 19:45 Re: Req: photo of MKII knob shaft with light kit installed [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
(Slaps forehead) Shades of the old "Rob's Knob" days.....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015