Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#237353 - 12/10/2004 16:51 Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate?
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA

#237354 - 12/10/2004 17:10 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
ricin.us

#237355 - 12/10/2004 17:26 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
They were talking about this last night on the TV. One pundit said (paraphrased) that while it is common for TV presenters to have the receiver strapped between the shoulder blades, no-one in their right mind would position it there if it had to be discreet. Much more likely that they would have placed it under one of his arm pits.

ALso, I think the Kerry team response was amusing - something like "Well, they didn't do a very good job" rather than "Yea, that explains why his performance was surprisingly good - not a patch on our Kerry, though".

Blair, Bush, Kerry and others must be kicking themselves that they can't get the West Wing script writers to work for them - they have had some wonderful scripts in season 4 - I particularly like this one, but you need to hear Sheen actulally deliver the lines to really appreciate it. What was the name of that film where the story is of a scriptwriter or director who ends up being the campaign manager?

Edited by mdavey (12/10/2004 17:56)

#237356 - 12/10/2004 17:29 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: mdavey]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
There were also a couple of points where Bush was speaking and mid sentance said things like "don't interrupt me" and "just a moment" when Kerry and the host weren't saying a word. The later could be the result of some off-screen gesture, but the former is harder to explain.

Edited by mdavey (12/10/2004 17:30)
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#237357 - 12/10/2004 17:36 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: mdavey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
What was the name of that film where the story is of a scriptwriter or director who ends up being the campaign manager?

That was "Wag the Dog".

I've got a link to a site with all the west wing scripts here.

#237358 - 12/10/2004 17:48 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
Redrum
old hand

Now I know why I like him, he's a bot, apparently a battle bot

#237359 - 12/10/2004 17:58 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
Redrum
old hand

It depends on how high your conspiracy level is....

Level 1 - It's his suit label
Level 10 - It's an alien implant and he is being controlled by Tanzawarians who are planing to invade the planet. The truth is out there....

#237360 - 12/10/2004 18:04 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Redrum]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's just silly. Everyone knows the Tazawarians aren't interested in invading us.

#237361 - 12/10/2004 18:27 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
What do you guys & gals think?

Well, after being saddled with an unrealistic desire for fairness and principled, informed political debate, I think I am *finally* getting into the whole Smear Boat Veterans, Ends-Justifies-The-Means swing of things.

So I ask you: will me believing this help in any way to send GWB back to Crawford? If so, I believe it completely and without reservation.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#237362 - 12/10/2004 19:03 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:

I think the puppeteer's hand is so far up W's a** that it doesn't really matter much if he also happens to be wired.

-Mike

(p.s. I know that offended somebody and I'd like to apologize in advance)

#237363 - 12/10/2004 19:18 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: tfabris]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
That's just silly. Everyone knows the Tazawarians aren't interested in invading us.

Of course not. If any of the Rigerian agents masquerading as squirrels on this planet get the idea that the Tazawarians intend to attempt a breach, the Tazawarians will drown in the knee-deep blood of their children.

At least that was the opinion of the "squirrel" I read your post to.

Looking back, though, the "squirrel" did express concern that there may be a problem with my acetylcholine levels.....

#237364 - 12/10/2004 19:54 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: mcomb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hm. Maybe there's a bigger problem we should be worrying about with the President...

http://www.adbuzz.com/bushbuzz.htm

#237365 - 13/10/2004 00:23 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Hm. Maybe there's a bigger problem we should be worrying about with the President...

Pigpile!

#237366 - 13/10/2004 00:57 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That quote from the Atlantic Monthly seems bogus, as an archive search only returns one result for the word "pre-senile" and it occurs on a Letters to the Editor page. I don't feel like paying to read it, but I bet the assignation isn't really accurate.

Still, amazing to see him speak fluently ten years ago and then see him stumble and bumble now.

#237367 - 13/10/2004 02:07 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That quote from the Atlantic Monthly seems bogus

I was forced to subscribe to the Atlantic so I could get regular doses of the writing of William Langewiesche. The quote in the little video (which I just watched) is taken from a letter by this doctor in response to a James Fallows story about the Kerry/Bush matchup and which touched upon perceptions about Bush's Texas-era debating skills.

I Googled up a faithful reprint of the whole letter here.

IANAN (I am not a neurologist) and neither is Price from the looks of it, but I don't think he is on too diagnostically shaky ground! Oooooh, I don't know. It is not as if Bush was incredibly well spoken in the Texas era. I bet George found it a bit easier to wrap his modest brain around Texas and to address more familiar issues like trying 14 year-olds as adults and whacking Karla Faye Tucker. When it comes to the whole U.S of A, though, my biggest impression is of somebody who is way out of their depth, but I have worked with enough people with varying degrees of dementia, Korsakov's and such that his assessment doesn't seem out of line and I would not be surprised to see Price's diagnosis confirmed (much as I was not surprised to have my impressions of Reagan's probable early Alzheimers confirmed. Yes. I thought that, and I wasn't just being mean.)

The most recent (November) Atlantic had an interesting, 2 page commentary by editor Chuck Todd called "After the Fall" where he raised the neglected question of what things are going to be like for the party that loses. Lots of unhappy people!

Given the brutal zeal that the Republicans showed in 2000 and the whatever-it-takes eagerness of subsidiaries like Smear Boat Veterans, if they *could* figure out how to put a helpful microphone into Bush's ear, I do not think that they would hesitate to do so. Did they? Could they? It would have to be one hell of a makeup artist.

In short, if I later find out that things are even *more* farked up than they appear to be, I am afraid I will not be awfully surprised.

#237369 - 13/10/2004 07:42 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Ezekiel]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:

I think the two best quotes from the Plastic thread are:
Quote:
George W Bush doesn't need a radio feed to hear voices in his head

and for the other side
Quote:
Looks like Kerry supporters can't even recognise a backbone any more.

Well, I thought it was funny.

Peter

#237370 - 13/10/2004 11:24 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My statement was not intended to necessarily disagree with the diagnosis, but to question the veracity of the attribution. It's disingenuous to put the editorial weight of the Atlantic Monthly behind a letter to the editor.

#237371 - 13/10/2004 13:02 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It's disingenuous to put the editorial weight of the Atlantic Monthly behind a letter to the editor.

That's very true. Sometimes I get so swept up in character assassination, I forget myself. (and he easily *could* have said "letter" but did not).

Edit: Oh, and looking back, my apologies. You made your point perfectly clear i.e. assignations, letter-to-the-ed, etc. Bad attention, Jim!

Edited by jimhogan (13/10/2004 13:09)

#237372 - 13/10/2004 13:56 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: webroach]
Redrum
old hand

However many of the Rigerian squirrels are also under Tazawarian control and are acting as double agents. One sure sign of this is when a squirrel, or president, is under this control they experience enhanced speaking abilities far above the average Rigerian squirrel, or preseidient. As you know an average Rigerian speaks better than Mohammed Ali, before the Quatillians destroyed his brain, but I digress, These double agent squirrels are slowly infiltrating the Rigerian bases and when the attack signal is given they will neutralize the earth’s protective covering (as you know space is really white but the covering only lets in small pinholes of light that we call stars) and then the Tazawarian’s will attack!

Let’s just hope that the Rigerian’s will infiltrate the Tazawarian cat agents in time to uncover this plot. Unfortunately many Rigerian squirrels have tragically lost their lives to these savage Tazawarian cat agents. It has been reported that these Tazawarian cat agents have been torturing the squirrel agents by batting them around before finally killing and actually devouring the Rigerian.

May the brilliant, one and only true god (Ozzy Osbourne) please help us!

#237373 - 13/10/2004 15:02 Re: Reg Article...Bush coached during 2nd debate? [Re: Redrum]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
This is all assuming that the Tazawarian's intent is to truly harm us. There are many who believe them to be liberators intent on breaking the stranglehold the Rigerian's have upon our cultural ideals. I know it's easy to dismiss such a negative view of the Rigerians as conspiracy theories at its worst, but some of the evidene is very compelling. How ironic would it be if we were to relegate ourselves to Rigerian manipulation when the Tazawarian's are so desperatly trying help us?