Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#239541 - 30/10/2004 23:10 Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad?
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I'm debating ordering a media center PC from Hush Technologies. I'm surprised to see that they don't offer a wireless keyboard with an embedded point device just a remote control. The ones that I've googled don't look all that great. Anyone have any ideas where I might find a wireless keyboard with an touchpad similar to a laptop touchpad?

#239542 - 31/10/2004 11:53 Re: Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad? [Re: Mach]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I don't have an answer for the wireless keyboard item, but I have a Hush ATX on order. If you want, I will give you a review of it when it comes in. The black case has been on backorder for a few weeks.

#239543 - 31/10/2004 12:34 Re: Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad? [Re: pgrzelak]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Yes please do a review and show us some pictures. I have wanted one of those for a while but have held off hoping they would just sell the case.

Matt

#239544 - 03/11/2004 17:39 Re: Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad? [Re: pgrzelak]
Mach
old hand

I ordered the Hush E3MC this week. I opted for the silver so it should ship next week. I'll post some pics when it comes in. I'd be interested to see what you think of the ATX when you get it. Still looking for the keyboard though....

#239545 - 03/11/2004 20:26 Re: Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad? [Re: Mach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I've got an IR keyboard with two point-stick things that work fairly well. Don't recall anything with a touchpad though. One stick is in the middle of the keyboard (rarely use this one) and the other is at the top right. I use the one on the top right most often when I'm not typing and need only to use the mouse functionality. Range is excellent and so are the diretional properties - don't even have to aim at the sensor. The same 4 AA NiMH batteries lasted me such a long time I forget how long it was. It was far longer than half a year and probably closer to 1. Then a simple 3 hour recharge and I'm set again.

The keyboard is the Webboard. Hard to find the site for right now because there's also a forum software package with the same name.

Bruno

#239546 - 03/11/2004 20:39 Re: Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad? [Re: hybrid8]
Mach
old hand

#239547 - 03/11/2004 22:03 Re: Wireless Media Center Keyboard with a Touchpad? [Re: Mach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

No, it's smaller (less space around outside of keys) and nicer looking than that one. The only thing missing was Windows XP support for its extra media and web keys (along the top). I fixed that by making a registry edit to redefine part of the keymap which then enables the Microsoft keyboard software to work with it.

I'll try and find the site later. The two point stick things are green by the way. And it has two mouse buttons on the right side, two on the left side and two at the bottom under the space bar.

Bruno

#239548 - 21/11/2004 14:13 Hush [Re: hybrid8]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Well, I am now working (home machine) from my new Hush ATX. I must say, it is a lot quieter than anything I have ever owned. It is not, sadly, silent. You can hear the spin of the hard drive and the seeks are really noticeable. I have the Seagate 160GB Barracuda S-ATA in mine. It is probably more apparent because the system itself is very quiet. I might check out Seagate to see if they have special drivers to get the drive to run quieter.

Otherwise, the system is really nice!!! No heat problems. In fact, you can feel the convection effect of heat rising from the top of the unit and the draw of cool air from the bottom. Effective and efficient.

Now I just need to move in... There is so much to learn - a new DVD-R (never used DVD-R before), new OS to tune, new video card and new audio card, reloading all my classic applications, etc.

#239549 - 21/11/2004 14:31 Re: Hush [Re: pgrzelak]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Could you use a drive enclosure maybe ? Link

I would have thought for what hush charges they could have done something about the HDD noise.

Matt

#239550 - 21/11/2004 15:23 Re: Hush [Re: msaeger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

It is really not that bad. It can be noticed in a very quiet environment, but not if there is any background. My typing alone drowns out the sound of the spin.

An enclosure may help. Possibly a little more sound dampening. After I get the machine to "where I like it" I may mess around with it some more.

#239551 - 21/11/2004 15:29 Re: Hush [Re: pgrzelak]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I have been able to use Hitachi/IBM's "Feature Tool" on Maxtor drives to set their accoustic management modes and other things like SMART. Worth a shot. I've used it for drives put into a TiVo and they next to impossible to hear over the fan after that.

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Bruno