Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24099 - 31/12/2000 11:59 Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ?
amold
journeyman

When I bought my Audi allroad, I didn't make sure that the head unit could be easily replaced with empeg BEFORE i bought the darn car. Now CarToys (in bellevue, WA) tells me that they won't even touch my car. Apparently the allroad has wiring for too much stuff (GPS etc.) and they're afraid of liability issues, even though all I have is the CD player with am/fm (BOSE premium sound option)
has anyone with a similar head unit found a place to get it replaced ?
or, does someone want to buy an allroad ?

#24100 - 31/12/2000 12:11 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
See what Crutchfield has to say about it. Don't go to their web site, actually call them directly. Their phone reps are good.

Odds are, they can sell you adapters that allow you to connect a stereo up to the existing Bose amplifier. And depending on the dash, they'll have a fitting kit to put a DIN unit into the dash space.

#24101 - 31/12/2000 12:40 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: tfabris]
amold
journeyman

unfortunately, the current unit is a double DIN, combined CD player am/fm cassette thing. it has to be completely pulled out, and that's what they're scared of.

#24102 - 31/12/2000 13:06 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
amold
journeyman

I called crutchfield, and they have no information on allroads or s4s (which i *think* have the same audio system). or even a6 avants for that matter :(

#24103 - 01/01/2001 10:57 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I called crutchfield, and they have no information on allroads or s4s

This surprises me. Are those cars very new models? (i.e., this is the first year they've been out?) That would explain it, although Crutchfield is usually pretty good about supporting even new cars.

Anyway, sorry to hear about that. Looks like it's up to you (or up to another stereo shop willing to tackle it).

If the dash opening is truly double-din, then you could pair the Empeg and an aftermarket DIN CD player fairly easily. You could bypass the Bose system completely and run your own speaker wires (and if desired, amplifiers).

#24104 - 01/01/2001 11:03 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We got a similar enquiry from a client with a Lexus, and again Crutchfield seem to have no information on those vehicles at all. The client has been told by the Lexus dealer that it is impossible to fit any type of after market stereo whatsoever.

Rob

#24105 - 01/01/2001 11:18 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The client has been told by the Lexus dealer that it is impossible to fit any type of after market stereo whatsoever.

Which we all know is complete BS. You can fit any aftermarket stereo to any car if you're willing to work at it a little bit. You may or may not be able to use the existing factory wires, speakers, or amplifiers. But if you're willing to throw out the factory stereo and do a little dismantling to put in your own amps/wires, you can install anything at all.

#24106 - 01/01/2001 12:52 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Yeah, although it sounds like Lexus have made this as difficult and expensive as possible. The stereo is integrated into the dash panel, and I can't find anyone that makes an adapter. Therefore it may be necessary to have a custom dash section manufactured, which could get rather expensive.

Does anyone know any better? I can't believe we only have one Lexus owning client.

Rob

#24107 - 02/01/2001 05:32 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: rob]
davenelsen
new poster

I own a Lexus LS-400 (97) and am just starting on the quest to have the EMPEG player installed in my car. Any and all advice is welcome. I'll share anything I learn.

#24108 - 02/01/2001 23:19 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
teemcbee
addict

After reading all your posts - Did you already have a look if the interior is similar to the A4 or the A6 or the A8? These are the main models and usually the dash in the S4 is the same (except some additional items) as the dash in the A4. The Audi "allroad" doesn't say anything to me. I don't think the type is "allroad". Is this "allroad" the A6 avant with four wheel drive? Then just have a look for some installation hints on the A6. I'm sure the dash is the same.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#24109 - 03/01/2001 10:19 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
philb
stranger

I'm not familiar with the larger Audis, but AFAIK Audi do a couple of head units, the 1*DIN Concert, and the 2*DIN Symphony, Replacing them may mean losing a few features like the dashboard display of radio/CD track & speed sensitive volume control. I'm not sure how easy it is to integrate the Empeg with the Bose soundsystem, which includes some amplification. I have the same problem looming, as my Audi S3 arrives at the end of this month.
Take a look at the forums on www.audiworld.com, a lot of the guys there have fitted after-market ICE systems to their Audis.

Philb.

#24110 - 03/01/2001 12:09 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: philb]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Andy Fox showed me his empeg install into his bose equipped TT a couple of months ago: all it took was a wiring harness converter; the empeg fed into the bose amps no problem. Despite being a 6 speaker system, it just takes L+R and everything else is preset by the bose amp - ie, the empeg works in the same way as the original head unit.

Hugo

#24111 - 03/01/2001 12:37 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Right, and Crutchfield sells Line-Level-To-Bose adapter connectors. So the gentleman who called Crutchfield and was told "we don't have any information on Audi Allroads" should try again and see if he gets anywhere by telling them "I need an adapter to connect an aftermarket stereo to a BOSE sound system". That will at least take care of the electronic portion of the installation.

That still doesn't help locate an adapter fascia for the dashboard, but I'll bet my eye teeth that the Allroad dash is the same as at least one of the other Audi models, and an adapter fascia will exist somewhere. All we need to do is find out which other Audi models have a fascia that is the same as the Allroad.

#24112 - 03/01/2001 13:58 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: altman]
philb
stranger

Do you know where I can get hold of one of these harness converters?

Philb.

#24113 - 03/01/2001 16:48 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: philb]
amold
journeyman

1. The allroad is bascially an A6 avant with bells and whistles.
I believe the dash is the same asl Audi's with the symphony sound system.
2. I specifically asked crutchfield about A6's and they said they did not have a harness. But I will try them again with the suggestion about asking about the Bose system.

3. The only reply I got on audiworld.com was from a guy who said I HAD to replace everything, not just the head.

I will try the suggestions in the past few messages and post here when I have a clear picture.

thanks all,
-amol

#24114 - 03/01/2001 17:02 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
amold
journeyman

Crutchfield again says "we don't have a wiring harness". any other source that i can try ?

#24115 - 04/01/2001 04:45 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: philb]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I believe it was an Autoleads part (autoleads.co.uk). He did mention something about having to move 2 pins on the connector (from rear to front or something?) with a small pair of pliers, but I can't remember the exact details.

The summary was that he didn't modify any of the car's wiring (and didn't even push out the tabs on the docking sled - the sled was a good friction-fit) - he had to leave it all as-is as the car was a lease.

Hugo

#24116 - 04/01/2001 10:12 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: amold]
philb
stranger

I had a look on www.cambscaraudio.co.uk, emailed their subsidiary In-Car Express http://www.incarexpress.co.uk.

Here's the response I had...

Phil,

The wiring harness adaptor is £31.99, and the fascia adaptor £8. The only
slight problem you will have is that the harness adaptor is only available
with speaker level input. As the Empeg only has RCA output, you'll have to
do one of two things - either use a very small amplifier in series before
the interface, or try and match the Empeg's RCA level out to the input on
the harness adaptor.

Regards
Jon
--
In-Car Express http://www.incarexpress.co.uk
Car Audio | Security | Multimedia | Navigation
Tel. +44 1223 301212 Fax. +44 1223 301150

#24117 - 04/01/2001 14:30 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose (SOLVED!) [Re: philb]
amold
journeyman

I went back to CarToys and looked for the person who's done empeg installs before. Just picked up my newly empeg-ised Audi, and it rules !
Only the head unit got replaced, and it's wired right thru the factory amp.

So, if you're in the Bellevue/Seattle area, go to CarToys of Bellevue and ask for Donovan. He knows the player.

Of course, i haven't checked out all the other functions of the car yet....hmm..

#24118 - 04/01/2001 14:36 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose (SOLVED!) [Re: amold]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So what you're saying is that CarToys had the problem with the empeg, not the Audi?

#24119 - 04/01/2001 14:53 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose (SOLVED!) [Re: tfabris]
amold
journeyman

nope. The people I talked to the first time did not want to touch the car. But this guy knew the empeg as well as Audis.

#24120 - 26/01/2002 11:52 Re: Audi allroad, replacing Bose premium head unit ? [Re: altman]
jaygold_gr
new poster

Loc: Las vegas, nevada
Where can I find more information on exactly which adapter he used, and what modifications he did to it?..