Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#241774 - 17/11/2004 16:20 Client + server recommendations, again?
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
OK, so time has come to really sort out the house system. I'm not entirely up to date with the state of the various client/server combinations, so I would welcome any recommendations/views/comments you might have. Here is my requirement/wish list:

- server *must* be Linux/*BSD-based
- there are web tablets or computers in all rooms with Receivers, so use from Receiver user interface is a secondary concern
- ability to syncronize receivers would be nice
- alarm clock functionality a plus
- I would *really* like to be able to use the receivers as an announcement/PA system as well - both broadcast (same sound file to all Receivers or group of Receivers) and to individual Receivers

Pipe dream?

Julf

#241775 - 29/11/2004 02:56 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: julf]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Well, looks like you've had a go with xPLRioNet before...but as of the v3.8i (21-Oct-04) version, it has the following:
  • Support for Rio, ExStreamer, SliMP3, MVP and WinAmp.
  • Multi Unit MVP support.
  • Built-in customizable web interface.
  • Support for MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC and OGG.
  • Support for synchronizing multiple Rio's
  • Shoutcast support (including support for DabBar/Wavefinder MP2 streams)
  • Text-to-speech announcements (via xPL messages)
  • On-screen messages (via xPL messages) e.g. for caller ID etc.
  • Generates Pronto/Pronto Pro csf files (for quick album/artist/playlist selection)
  • Generates Voice Recognition files (for use with xPLRioNetTTS and xPL_Voice)
  • Uses any ODBC-compliant database (ships with a Microsoft Access database)
  • Can be fully controlled and monitored using xPL messages
  • Installs as a Windows service using Microsoft .NET technologies

I realize it is not Linux based, but... there are some efforts of developing Linux applications of the xPL platform, perhaps xPLRioNet will come along there too...?!?

Given the feature set of this latest version, I'm pretty excited about rolling this out at home--including synching players.

I'd say consider it again...

Cheers,
Tim

#241776 - 29/11/2004 08:23 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: time]
julf
veteran

Quote:
Well, looks like you've had a go with xPLRioNet before..

Yes, and it does lok pretty darn good... But as you say yourself:
Quote:
it is not Linux based, but... there are some efforts of developing Linux applications of the xPL platform, perhaps xPLRioNet will come along there too...?!?

I'm afraid that's pretty unlikely - xPL applications seem really to have forked into .net-based ones, with API's and libraries that are *not* portable to non-windows environments (unless perhaps by using mono), and "portable" (linux, java, python) stuff.

While I'm OK running a PC or two on Win XP for those few pesky applications that don't run properly under wine, I am just not prepared to run a 24x7 server on Windows - still remember the stuttering music as the machine running the Rio server started doing the weekly virus scan...

#241777 - 01/12/2004 03:41 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: julf]
ADent
stranger

Loc: Denver, Colorado
There are posts about YARRS and Ampache.

Let us know what you do. I would like to setup a server on one of those Linux based NAS boxes (NSLU, KuroBox, etc).

#241778 - 01/12/2004 08:38 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: ADent]
julf
veteran

Quote:
There are posts about YARRS and Ampache.

AFAIK YARRS doesn't do streaming or FLAC, both pretty important for me.

#241779 - 20/12/2004 14:36 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: julf]
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
YARRS is just perl so could be made to serve FLAC (if there's a perl module like MP3::Info)

Streaming is really a client issue.

I have a linux/perl server (rougly based on Jeff Mock's original and Yarrs) but made to run off iTunes data. IOW iTunes is used to encode and control the music/playlists and then I can play this on any of the Rios around the house.

I'd like to add streaming support, alarm clock functionality etc for the client, so I'm looking at alternatives, but no solutions yet.

#241780 - 20/12/2004 20:10 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: ukengb]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
made to run off iTunes data

What, remotely, using DAAP? You're saying you've got a DAAP-to-receiver republisher? That's a cool thing. Combine that with a DAAP-to-UPnP republisher (I'm sure I heard of one somewhere) and you can get any thin client in the house displaying the same music collection. Nice.

Peter

#241781 - 21/12/2004 08:09 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: peter]
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
No, sorry, you've jumped to one conclusion too far:-)

I use iTunes to encode everything (with iTunes LAME) and all the music is stored on the linux server (NFS shared to the Mac/PC). My scripts parse the XML backup file and make the appropriate files for my server to hand out to the Rio Receivers (and also .M3Us to update the RioCar) via Apache and perl CGIs to read these files.

I check nightly if anything has changed and rebuild if required, but a cold reboot of a Rio will initiate a rebuild if any change is detected.

It's not perfect, I'd rather the rio server (the perl CGIs) could simply access the real iTunes data directly without any inbetween 'rebuilding' of additional data files, but that is much trickier (probably beyond my capabilities). However, it does work. So I use iTunes to maintain the music and all that music and any iTunes playlists are (nearly) immediately available to all the Rios.

The biggest problem at present is detecting any changes. It used to be easy since I only had to check for any change in the XML file size, but Apple now write 'usage' info every time you play anything which scotched that idea. I'm still looking for the definitive answer to that one.

Anyway, sorry to disappoint you.

#241782 - 03/04/2005 16:58 Re: Client + server recommendations, again? [Re: ukengb]
Bane
stranger

There is a perl flac module available as part of Slimsever. However, I have not done any investigation as to how to implement it though, as I am not much of a program.