Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245177 - 02/01/2005 14:50 jEmplode Soups - string length limitation?
zexpe
journeyman

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
I noticed today that a few of my jEmplode soups that are stored as playlists on the empeg weren't automatically updating whenever I added new music to the player or changed the tags of existing music. On further investigation I discovered that the soup tag in the advanced properties dialogue for these soup playlists had truncated the value beyond the 255th character. I suspect this maybe why the soup doesn't update, despite the fact that it was initially created correctly. Is it possible to remove this limitation?

The reason why my soup value is so long is that I have a few soup playlists that contain a subset of my genres, with each genre as a sub-playlist (using the genre tag lag layer). One of these soups contains 9 genres, and the advanced search description string is rather long. To give a shorter example:

search,artist:(((genre = "Pop") or (genre = "Reggae") or (genre = "Rap"))~tag,genre:genre

Ross

#245178 - 02/01/2005 17:26 Re: jEmplode Soups - string length limitation? [Re: zexpe]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Is it possible to remove this limitation?

Depends on how JEmplode wants to encode the soup tag. It might need to be stored as soup0, soup1, soup2, etc. and catenated.

The player database only supports tag lengths of up to 255 characters, you see.

#245179 - 03/01/2005 05:52 Re: jEmplode Soups - string length limitation? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I was gonna post that the 255-limit was likely the player database's limit rather than Jemplode's limit. But I don't know enough about how jemplode stores soups to be sure, so I left it alone...

#245180 - 03/01/2005 18:17 Re: jEmplode Soups - string length limitation? [Re: zexpe]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
good catch.. i had something similar happen! maybe mike has some ideas to alleviate the problem. if there's no way around the 255 char limit, perhaps 1 letter pseudonyms can be implemented to save on those precious characters (i.e. genre = "pop" can be done as g="pop", etc.)

cheers
-ted