Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#246213 - 11/01/2005 16:02 Empeg playlist troubles
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
A few weeks back I had My "Master" Empeg crash while adding some new music via Emplode. Basicly, it wiped most of my music off the player and corrupted the playlist stucture. At first I thought I had lost a HD or had a bad cable. Replaced the cable just for insurance and as far as I can tell the drive is still fine.

I keep a backup of my fid's from both drives (0 & 1) as well as a backup of the Config.ini, Database, playlists and tags on my PC and I keep them in sync and current with WsFtp. I normally update the PC with my Master Empeg (Remote <- Local) and then sync my slave Empegs to the PC with WsFtp (Local -> Remote). Been doing this for over a year and everything works great.

Anyway, after the crash, I used my PC backup to restore my Master player (which is the reason I've been keeping a backup in the first place) and I've been having playlist issues ever since. If I delete the players database, playlists and tags and allow the player to rebuild then itself everything becomes a huge mess. Playlists are a huge scrambled mess and many song's have no refs at all. If I delete databease, playlists and tags from the player and transfer the PC backup versions I have everything looks fine and operates fine. I can then do a sync in Emplode, JEmplode whatever, and the player still thinks everything is OK. Then if I delete the database, playlists and tags again the player rebuilds them and everything gets all tossed up again?

Additionally, when using the PC backup copies of database, playlists and tags on the player, the player UI works perfect. But when I access the player with CharcoalGrays Web Interface, the playlist structure apprears MOSTLY correct, but many of the playlist trees are messed up and some playlists have nothing in them at all. Remember this is happening while the player's UI is functioning right and no problems show up when the player is opened in Emplode or JEmplode.

Any help on correcting my players would be greatly appreciated.

#246214 - 11/01/2005 16:48 Re: Empeg playlist troubles [Re: bodybag]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Any help on correcting my players would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like your playlist FID files have been broken, and that the cached copy in 'playlists' is correct.

Rebuilding all of the *0 files from the playlists file is not something anyone has ever done. Doing it is relatively easy (coding-wise), but I don't think anyone's done it.

#246215 - 11/01/2005 17:19 Re: Empeg playlist troubles [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Bodybag, what player software version are you running? The behavior you describe sounds like what happened to me when I used 3.0 alpha.

Also, did you do a manual FSCK after that emplode crash?

#246216 - 11/01/2005 17:26 Re: Empeg playlist troubles [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

I'm using 2.0 final and hijack. Didn't do an FSCK after the crash

#246217 - 11/01/2005 22:18 Re: Empeg playlist troubles [Re: Roger]
bodybag
addict

Quote:
Rebuilding all of the *0 files from the playlists file is not something anyone has ever done. Doing it is relatively easy (coding-wise), but I don't think anyone's done it.

Would anyone be willing to take on this task for me? Or, maybe, explain what needs to be done? I've got about 100gb of MP3's on my player with nearly 3 years worth of playlist adjustment and manipulation that I couldn't easily replicate. Starting over is not an option I want to consider. Especially since the player works fiine but just can't rebuild it's own database and playlist structure. Also since it can't rebuild it's own databases and playlist, adding, deleting or changing anything in Emplode from here on is impossible, and that is BAD.

#246218 - 11/01/2005 23:19 Re: Empeg playlist troubles [Re: bodybag]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You may also be able to simply regenerate all the tags from the ID3(V2) tags that are still (?) inside those .mp3 files. Use mp3tool to dump them out, and write a simple script to recreate the ASCII tag files from them.

Of course, this option won't restore the playlists.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (11/01/2005 23:19)